Thread: Sun or Shade; Which is Better?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sun or Shade; Which is Better?

Attached Images Attached Images

My next Popular Photography column will deal with the subject of working when the sun is bright and harsh. Two of my suggestions are relative here:
    1-find a subject in the shade
    2-Work large in the frame right down sun angle if possible.

The image in this pane was created at 80. It was a clear day and the sun was already at full strength. The sweet light was gone. The bird was extremely cooperative foraging in total shade on the same rock for about 30 minutes stopping occasionally to pose for a sharp image. I followed my own advice in #1 above.

Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens with the EOS-1D Mark III. Mongoose M3.5B atop the Gitzo 3530 LS tripod. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/50 sec. at f/5.6. (Note; the 800's new and improved four stop IS is a valuable feature.)

Please compare this image with the image below before posting your comments.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is the same Purple Sandpiper photographed almost an hour later. I got as close to sun angle as I possibly could by working my way down to a low rock near the water. (Not to worry, it was not on the inlet side of the jetty!). If I had taken even a half step to my left to get right on sun angle, I would have stepped into three feet of cold salt water.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop (could have been +1 or more...): 1/400 sec. at f/13.

(Added a bit of canvas below and right from images created only as source material as I knew that I was a bit tight and could not step back.)

Which do you like better and why? Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Laura James

I like the shaded one best. The details in the background are better here, without being distracting. The colors of the background are better as well. The second image does isolate the bird better, but the shadow is distracting IMO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, The one in the shade looks much better and it will be something I consider when I am out shooting. I like the pose and the colors you got out of the rocks. I have almost the same image as your second pane and it appears washed out to me. I do however like seeing the slight hint of purple on the back. This is a very good comparison.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    I like the image on the shade better.
    When working subjects on the shade or cloudy days, do you change the white balance settings on the camera?

Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie - a useful comparative lesson. My preference is for the shaded one. Partly because the darker background makes my eye focus more on the bird, I think; while with the sunny shot the lighter background takes some of my attention (this is not just a function of sun vs. shade, but also choice of bg.) Also, orange bill and legs seem a bit washed out to me in the sunny version; like the color of the first. And I agree the shadow is a bit distracting. In any event, nice shots and a good lesson. Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adams Serra View Post
    Hi Artie, I like the image on the shade better. When working subjects on the shade or cloudy days, do you change the white balance settings on the camera? Adams
    I usually do not remember to but it does not matter as I am using Robert O'Toole's amazing Average Blur Color Balancing trick on most of my images now, and then adjusting the opacity to taste. Details are in both Digital Basics and in APTATS II.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Artie - a useful comparative lesson. My preference is for the shaded one. Partly because the darker background makes my eye focus more on the bird, I think; while with the sunny shot the lighter background takes some of my attention (this is not just a function of sun vs. shade, but also choice of bg.) Also, orange bill and legs seem a bit washed out to me in the sunny version; like the color of the first. And I agree the shadow is a bit distracting. In any event, nice shots and a good lesson. Thanks.
    Thanks. Do note that I surely would have liked the sunny image better had it been a cloudy morning....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I prefer the angle of capture in the full-sun image. However in my opinion, the shade image is more pleasing as I like the softness and colors of the rock. The birds are nice in both images but again I prefer the shaded one as the whites and feet are not as harsh although both appear to have good exposed. Interesting discussion and thanks for the tips. I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my copy of APTATS II.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Phil. I was amazed that Jim Litzenberg stayed at my house this weekend so that all of the pre-ordered APTATS II CDs would be at the post office on Monday morning. Now that is dedication. Now its up to the US Post Office...

Let's see: Monday is the 21st and the CDs are being sent by first class mail... Good luck. Then study!

Axel Hildebrandt

I find it amazing how different the plumage of this species looks depending on the light. Maybe I'm a bit indecisive today but I like both for different reasons. The one in the shade has this really nice complementing BG and I like the position of the feet and relaxed pose in the sunny one.

Scott Fairbairn

Vote for the shaded image, I'm not a fan of the white rock in the sunny one. If it was wet or darker then I might lean towards the sunny one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sun or Shade

I like both images but was a bit overwhelmed by white background.
    Sorry Artie but I took the liberty of darkeng highlights !!!
    Cheers: Ian Mc

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McHenry View Post
    I like both images but was a bit overwhelmed by white background. S Sorry Artie but I took the liberty of darkeng highlights !!! Cheers: Ian Mc
    Thanks. If you think that the posted image was bright, you should have seen the orig; I added 100 points of BLACK to the WHITES so it is double-darkened.

As a thank you I will teach you a trick to avoid darkening the whites in the bird esp. the belly whites:

Before you start, hit Control A, Control J. This puts the whole image on its own layer. Now darken the whites. Now, hit E and use the Eraser Tool to erase the effect from the bird. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fairbairn View Post
    Vote for the shaded image, I'm not a fan of the white rock in the sunny one. If it was wet or darker then I might lean towards the sunny one.
    Hi Scott, I replied to this this morning but it got lost in cyberspace. Enjoy the holidays and say "Hi' to Dr. Reaume for me. Actually, if the one in the sun had a wet or darker background of seaweed and mussels (like the one in the shade) I would hate it even more!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie--

Well one thing is for sure--you captured a lot better DOF in the second shot with the extra light and smaller aperture! That hurts the first shot I feel more than I would wish if it were mine with that right foot OOF. I'm believing it might have been possible to get this shot using a much slower shutter speed, lockup, and release cable as these guys freeze quite accommodatingly. In fact you could probably add your polariser which would not only darken the rocks(making the bird pop more in the process) but make more visible the rock's exquisite color, texture, and detail. Even if only one out of ten were without blur, you would get some I would think for sure-and that would have been worth the try me thinks.

Truly wonderful how those colors and mossy rocks at barnegat can render some awesome bg's. Another absolutely wonderful place to shoot these guys is at Glacier national park. If I remember right, as your on the "Going To The Sun" highway heading east from Kalispell, and at the first or second stop PAST Lake McDonald on the left, You'll find in the late spring-early summer a good no. of them frolicking, and fishing in the torrential crystal clear mountain river water fed by the glaciers and snow melt. (What's left of the glaciers anyways). The rocks there are just livid with colors from the lichens and such. And a big plus is the fact that besides the harleys, it was one of the most invigorating and spiritually refreshing places I have ever been too. Some tricky climbing to get down to the waters level- for photography reasons--but doable. I think it was there that I first came to be awakened to the absolute necessity for the world to retain the snow in the form of glaciers and snow cap, as even up till july they still provide water for the environment in America's heartland. I couldn't get over the ga-gillions of gallons of water going past me every minute.

Something that I wanted to bring up about the sunny shot which is a bit off topic in a way, but definitely something I feel can work out to be an opportunity.
    I have seen few to zero bird photographs that utilize the birds shadow as a strong comp element on it's own merit. (At least I don't remember seeing any). The second shot here of course hasn't got a long enough shadow to do much with, but I'm thinking that a shot where the shadow of the bird may even be the main subject, and the actual bird might be the supporting player, would be well worth trying for. In addition, using the shadow to tie in by anchoring the lone subject, say in a featureless environment or background surround, and having that shadow extend out to touch the side of the image frame, which then stabilizes the subject in the composition, would be very powerful. Maybe picture a high key shot of a shorebird on a sandy beach where definition in the sand is lost--or a shot in the snow. A shadow strategically placed might be just the ticket for a great comp. The second shot would do well with the idea if only the shadow was in fact longer I'm feeling.

Maybe folks might consider heading out one day not with the intent to shoot birds--but with the intent to shoot shadows. Another possible thing to do on those sunny days, or between the sweet light.

The first shot is my pick too, but I would like to point out as a side note that the lines formed in the rocks from the crevases and contours funnel together nicely in a downward stroke fashion, and that, coupled with the fact the bird is doing a bit of a "hanging on to the slope" pose, which has tension to it's look and feel(He's fine of course but to us he has that feeling), setting this comp in the more dynamic vertical format would be better I feel, if of course you had substantial bottom canvas to add available to you. He would then be at the top of the frame, increasing and playing on that precariousness aspect of the scene as a theme.

Paul
    Last edited by paul leverington; 12-20-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie.
    Thanks for the tip about darkening bird while retaining whites.
    Always happy to receive fine tuning tips.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McHenry View Post
    Hi Artie.
    Thanks for the tip about darkening bird while retaining whites.
    Always happy to receive fine tuning tips.
    YAW; always happy to give them :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, Thanks for your lengthy comments. Here are a few not-so-short responses:

While foraging on the rocks this species does not sit still for long. I love the image as captured and your suggestion does not seem to me to have much practical value. I was already at 1/50 sec and was glad to hold at ISO 500.... And the suggestion to add a polarizer and lose another stop or three makes no sense either. Going for more d-o-f with a polarizer, cable release, and mirror lock up might work once in 20,000 tries if one were really lucky and willing to use a very high ISO.

I have been focusing on the birds eye usually while wide open and that formula has worked well for me so far :) Plus, I am too old to change.

As for photographing either this species, or Rock Sandpiper, the western conspecific, in Glacier National Park you are quite mistaken. Purple is strictly an eastern bird and both species are completely coastal. Neither would be found anywhere near a freshwater stream. Check your pix and let us know which species you are referring to.

Good suggestion about utilizing shadows in bird photography. I have a few that do so in my collection and I have seen some pretty cool ones as well so it has been done before, and done well on occasion. I have even tried (and failed) to photograph a shadow in flight either against wet sand or against a wall or cliff....

Your last suggestion about a smaller in the frame image with the bird in the urc is a good one.

Respectfully.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm for the shaded bird in this situation as it takes away the strong shadows but if the conditions warranted only the bird in direct light I think I would of been happy with either one especially if its a species that I only had one chance with.... Thanks for the topic.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, It dawned on me that you were likely referring to Harlequin Duck (not to Purple Sandpiper, the posted species here...)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah, for folks who have not figured it out yet I greatly prefer the one in the shade (as I usually do). That said, Denise's two images made only 20 minutes prior were quite loverly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great lesson here guru.. TFS. I like the sun image better as I think it required understanding of the camera to expose.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Uh-oh--I guess I'm startin to have those senior moments--yes Artie your right I was refering to the Harleys--I totally skipped the part where I was shifting gears on you. I'll get a couple posted for folks to check out--and a couple from Barnegat while I'm at it too maybe.

Another option I should bring up that I was thinking about with the use of polariser(assuming for a second that's what one might want to do) would be to shoot the rock scenery seperate at the slower speed and combine. Be assured if the choice were between the eye and the foot I'd pick the eye too.

Paul

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie...excellent use of shallow DOF of the 800. Blurring of BG that is so close to the bird makes it pop beautifully.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all and Paul: with so many purples and harlequins posted it is easy to get confused. I photographed the Harlequins in a river in Nimilichick (sp???), AK