Lens :canon 100-400mm f5.6
    ISO 400
    Shutter speed: 1/2500
    f/7.1
    Exp +1/3

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! Great color, exposure and just enough blur on the far wing to show action too.

Perhaps you could have shifted everything to the right slightly but IMO well done as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey jan, Pretty darned amazing. I wish that you had been just a bit more to your left; this would have opened up the view to the head a bit and given a more dorsal view of the back, both plusses in my opinion.

Here's what puzzles me: assuming that this is right out of the camera i am wondering why the feet are pretty much even with the top of the perch (while the bird is already at such a steep downward angle). If you have an image of the bird on the perch, I would love to see it (or any others in the takeoff sequence as well). Just curious as heck.

Lightening the eye, the eye socket, and the face just a bit would likely improve it.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool image. Love the diving pose, and I'm interested in the answer to Artie's question. I would probably sharpen the bird a little, and I agree about lightening the eye.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Answer to your question is here, Artie http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=50389
    PS work looks a lot better than when previously posted, Jan. Perch pruning should be disclosed as per the sticky at the top of the page. I realy like the soft texture of the sky as a BG.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Whitehead View Post
    Answer to your question is here, Artie http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=50389. PS work looks a lot better than when previously posted, Jan. Perch pruning should be disclosed as per the sticky at the top of the page. I realy like the soft texture of the sky as a BG.
    Thanks Tony. I am confused as to why Jan posted this separately. And yes Jen, we ask the following: " If you have significantly altered your image by adding or removing elements of the composition, we ask that you let folks know that as well." I know that you were not trying to fool anyone but I had not seen the original post....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Jan Fourie

I did not remove anything as the bird perched on a higher branch As I posted it before.It is incidental that he dived past this branch on his way to the water
    jan

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Fourie View Post
    I did not remove anything as the bird perched on a higher branch As I posted it before.It is incidental that he dived past this branch on his way to the water
    jan
    Confused when you say you didn't remove anything, Jan. The whole right hand twig has gone:confused:.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan, I too am quite confused; have you forgotten that you posted this:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50389 ?

Ofer Levy

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jan, how about this repost without the branch? I think it works nicely as I don't feel the branch really adds to the image. Also converted to sRGB for web presentation.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree -- much better without the perch...! Really nice capture of a bird not easily seen or photographed.

Jan Fourie

on this shot I did remove the twig,sorry for confusion:o
    jan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Fourie View Post
    on this shot I did remove the twig,sorry for confusion:o jan
    No sweat. Thanks for letting us know.