Thread: Mating Herons

Laura James

Default Mating Herons

Going to try this again. Was unable to get pic to show last time, trying from another website.
    Taken at Venice Rookery. Inspired after taking a class of Art Morris.
    D300 with sigma 150-500 lens at 300mm. ISO 800, f/8, 1/2,500 sec. Flash with better beamer attachment.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Laura-

A very fine image you have here you did very well with the capture. Stricking pose and I like it. ;)

I would suggest a bit of contrast adjustment (levels adj. layer will work) and some added sharpening for size and subject being carefull not to sharpen the light pixels as much as the dark (maybbe 40 to 45%). As this repost -

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Laura, I like the action in this image a lot. Soft light is great and I agree with Kim that a touch of increased contrast would improve the image. I think that the best option is something between the original post and Kim´s repost. The far out of focus BG in the right side of the frame is nice but in the left you have a very light sky that doesn´t helps to isolate the head of the bird at the left.

Laura James

Thanks for the suggestions, like the repost. When I looked back at my image, the contrast was more like the repost, wonder if it is a problem with resizing? I agree with the BG issues. Tried to quick mask and clone the far out of focus BG behind the heron on the left, but I'm not that good at it (yet)!!!!

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always good to be inspired by someone like Artie. From the looks of this image you learned a few things. Re-post is an improvement. Good points given and great things to learn from.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the interaction and soft light and good discussion above. Could you have moved to your left for a more uniform BG?

Laura James

Yes, could have moved slightly. To be honest, this was the first time I had done any bird shooting and was too excited to just get the image, wasn't thinking about the background. One of the many things to learn!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Laura, These birds are so beautiful when they are interacting like this. I like the repost w/ a bit more contrast also. Very nice composition and good advice already given. Look forward to more.