Thread: Make My Mother Proud

Danny J Brown

Default Make My Mother Proud

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Guys:

No comments necessary on this kingfisher that you've already seen a couple of times, but I wanted to let you know that the first image I posted (with the flopping fish) made National Geographic's Daily Dozen. I've tried five times over the years to crack their photo editor's shell in that contest, to no avail. See the attached link and if you are really bored, click on "Voting Machine" and help me to make my mother proud by getting the image in the magazine. Thanks again for all of your wonderful comments and suggestions.

P.S. I hadn't planned to post this information but the guruji suggested that I should.:)
    Last edited by Danny J Brown; 12-19-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Sharpness, crop, head angle and raised crest look very good. The whites are a bit overexposed, though.

Danny J Brown

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Sharpness, crop, head angle and raised crest look very good. The whites are a bit overexposed, though.
    Thanks Axel. The bird was backlit on a cloudy day so I brightened it too much to account for shadows on the face. In response to your comment, I darkened the entire image and then went in LR II and brushed a little more exposure on the head and face. Hope it looks a little better. As always, thanks for the good instruction.

Danny J Brown

Wow - just looked back at the original post - all milky. Sorry about that folks. Wish I could delete it, but its a learning experience for everybody!!!!!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Danny,

First, congrats on your NatGeo recognition. I don't find the "attached link" you mention, but I'd be glad to vote to help you get your image published. We were recently honored with a 2-page spread in the North American Bluebird Society's Fall Journal, featuring our Family Blue with 7 photos. What a thrill!

The repost does look better to me here btw. It's a pet peeve of mine that even the best photographic gear avail often fails to capture the dynamic range of even cloudy day wildlife.
    Congrats again on your Kingfishers.

Kenn

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Repost is a good improvement, Danny. You could maybe do some work to minimise the impact of the parallel lines in the BG from OOF branches.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Danny J Brown

Wow - Kenn is right - forgot to post the thread. The absent-minded professor at work again.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/your-shot

Danny J Brown

Quote Originally Posted by kenn threed View Post
    Hi Danny,

First, congrats on your NatGeo recognition. I don't find the "attached link" you mention, but I'd be glad to vote to help you get your image published. We were recently honored with a 2-page spread in the North American Bluebird Society's Fall Journal, featuring our Family Blue with 7 photos. What a thrill!

The repost does look better to me here btw. It's a pet peeve of mine that even the best photographic gear avail often fails to capture the dynamic range of even cloudy day wildlife.
    Congrats again on your Kingfishers.

Kenn
    I've said the same thing many times, Kenn. I've wondered for years why our new cameras (computers), which can already recognize hot highlights, can't make onsite corrections if given permission to do so by the user. Maybe the photoshop people pay the camera companies not to release that technology.:) Congrats on the bluebird spread - very exciting! My wife and I were just talking about you guys today as we were watching nine bluebirds getting water at the same time on the heated bird bath on our deck. I told her how you guys could tell yours apart and we don't know one from another around here. Take care.

Guy Germain

Hi Danny,

Just one word.
    Jealousy !

Guy

Danny J Brown

I doubt that - I've seen enough of your killer portfolio, starting with that shot you just posted, to know you aren't jealous of anybody.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the vertical composition Danny really a great series of shots you have gotten with these Kingfishers.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet. sweet. sweet! Somewhere between the two posts is my vote Danny. Wonderful shot! I like that the perch has some interest too with the bark peeling.

Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Danny,

Great post-treatment with your second image, the kingfisher stands out a lot better and the whites are much better!! Going to vote now!! :)

Danny J Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Lise De Serres View Post
    Hi Danny,

Great post-treatment with your second image, the kingfisher stands out a lot better and the whites are much better!! Going to vote now!! :)
    Thanks Lise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch

Congratulations Danny !!! Beautiful image and well worth the honor and recognition. I am off to vote too !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Danny! Another great image. Love the raised crest and beautiful BG.

Malcolm Benn

Fabulous image, congratulations.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My vote's in Danny, I can see why the editor chose your image. This one is a great capture also (nailed it with the repost).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations Danny! The repost is excellent.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Danny. BG colors compliment the KF well. Nice details, colors, pose, and subject. Repost looks real good.

Danny J Brown

Thanks to everybody, especially those who've voted and put me neck and neck with the growling lion. Merry Christmas, my friends.

Danny J Brown

Default Update - You Guys Rock!

As of 9:00 PM Sunday my photo is ahead of all the other 180 photos for the first three weeks of December. Thanks for voting!!!!!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man , I must say you have some amazing images of Belted KF
    Yet another loveky image and repost looks great
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

well done Danny., sweet image.

Danny J Brown

Thanks Ray: Have wonderful Christmas, my friend, and hopefully a snow white one!