Thread: Clay-colored Robin Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Clay-colored Robin Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

This is Costa Rica's national bird. It is not as attractive as a toucan or quetzal but was chosen because it represents our music, folklore and the humbleness of our people.

As most robins, these guys have a stunning repertoire. The males start to sing around four o'clock in the mornings on the onset of our rainy season (mid-May) they do it to let other males know that that's their territory and to attract females.

Canon 30D
    Canon 35-350@350
    AV
    f/6.3
    1/200 sec.
    ISO 400
    Exp. Comp. +1
    Fill flash -2
    Tripod
    Blind
    Almost FF
    Very minor PS work

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Juan Carlos. The pose is nice, with good eye contact. The point of sharpest focus seems to be on the breast; the eye could stand some additional sharpening. In terms of exposure, the BG is a little bright and competes with the bird IMO. This could easily be fixed in post-processing. If I were trying to do it in camera, I would have gone with closer to a neutral camera exposure and maybe -1 or -1 1/3 EC on the flash.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hola JC!

I actually love the contrast of the bird against the BG. The eye and bill appear more than sharp enough and those were the initial observation points, which my eyes were drawn to when I opened the image.

Be proud of this shot. I most certainly would. There is more than enough detail and the BG/subject contrast works extremely well IMHO. :) Congrats amigo; very well done!!!

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the eye contact, crop and BG. I agree with Doug regarding sharpening the head more and might remove one of the catchlights.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan Carlos, this is really nice. Love the light on the bird and the composition.

I do agree with Doug that the brighter part of the background, especially on the right side of the frame, does kind of compete. Doug's suggestion for underexposing the background in your ambient exposure and then compensating with a bit more fill-flash on the bird is really good. In addition, this would have given you extra shutter speed, which would have allowed you to stop down to f8 or so to gain a bit more DOF.

I would also note that the strongest part of the background for me is the upper left portion so, though I know you were working in a blind, perhaps positioning yourself or the perch slightly differently would have allowed you to take advantage of that darker foliage.

Having said all of that, this is a really nice image as presented. But since we had the chance to meet and talk the other day, I know you're going for perfection, so we're getting into the details now!

So, well done!
    Saludos,
    Greg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Juan,
    I like the bird, BG and the history lesson.The Brazilian national bird a Turdus rufiventris doesn't have fancy colors either but it has a great song.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan
    Lovely pose , expo and BG here , Some great advise above
    TFS

ps , Thanks a ton for info

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

great close up this, nice details, pose, and Bg here...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

beautiful image Juan, sweet details, light, and bg.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this portrait a lot Juan Carlos. I agree with Doug about the BG, it is a bit light, mainly on the right side of the frame. Love the color of the Bg and the details in the feathers of this guy.
    Pura vida!:)