Thread: Snow Geese Pan-Blur

cjhockett

Default Snow Geese Pan-Blur

Attached Images Attached Images

Near Stanwood, Port Susan Wa, 2/14/08
    With several thousand snow geese flying between three flocks while feeding in small groups and low light I went to 1/40 shutter speed, iso 200, resulting in an aperture of f11 and +2/3 compensation. 1DIII, 500f4 with 1.4tc, no flash, panning on gitzo, whimberly-I set up while standing on the road by my vehicle. i set the white balance down during raw conversion to emphasize the blue from distant tree covered hills.
    What do you think?

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the idea and BG but wish the heads of all three birds were sharp and for better separation between the bird on the left and middle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

white oof patches in the bottom are kind of iffy for me. Cropping them and making it to a pano will add a sense of motion I guess. Nicely done,

Judy Lynn Malloch

This image has a very artistic look to it and I really like the interesting shades in the BG. I agree with Axel about the heads being in focus and has he mentioned a little more separation but I love the overall feel of this image. thanks for sharing.

cjhockett

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Lynn Malloch View Post
    This image has a very artistic look to it and I really like the interesting shades in the BG. I agree with Axel about the heads being in focus and has he mentioned a little more separation but I love the overall feel of this image. thanks for sharing.
    Judy,
    yes this image was selected for its overall artistic, (impressionistic) appeal. Granted pan-blurring is difficult to achieve perfect focus and bird spacing. Here is another crop with a 2:1 pano ratio. i removed the blurred geese at the bottom. How does it look to you and does it still have as much artistic appeal?