Thread: Using Topaz ReMask For Selective Sharpening

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Using Topaz ReMask For Selective Sharpening

Hi,

I've just purchased 'Digital Basics' and read most of it, but I still have a few queries. What I would like to know is whether using a program like Topaz Remask is a good way to apply Selective Sharpening instead of using the selection tools and Refine Edge?

I have done a few images since purchasing the Topaz bundle (last weekend) by removing the bird and placing it on a separate layer, then after resizing I apply sharpening to that layer and adjusting the opacity before saving the final image.

I just wanted to check if this is a good way to do things, or I am making a mistake? Is this similar to how Quick Masks are used for selective sharpening?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Julian.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rather than extract the parts that you want to sharpen (or not sharpen), I would use a layer. That allows you to change your mind after sharpening, and also to apply sharpening more in some places and less in others.

Better yet, use an edge mask to protect all "flat" areas from sharpening so that only edges get sharpened. You can then paint out any areas you don't want sharpened at all.

You can download a simple edge-mask action in this posting:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...236#post386236

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Thomasson View Post
    Rather than extract the parts that you want to sharpen (or not sharpen), I would use a layer. That allows you to change your mind after sharpening, and also to apply sharpening more in some places and less in others.
    Hi David,

Thank you for reply. Could you possibly explain the above statement in a bit more detail please, as I am very new to the full version of Photoshop so do not quite follow.

Thanks,

Julian.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Mole View Post
    Hi David,

Thank you for reply. Could you possibly explain the above statement in a bit more detail please, as I am very new to the full version of Photoshop so do not quite follow.

Thanks,

Julian.
    Hi Julian,

I just noticed that I left out the key word: "Rather than extract the parts that you want to sharpen (or not sharpen), I would use a layer mask."

If you duplicate the background image and then sharpen the duplicate, you can put a mask on that sharpened layer and apply the sharpening where you want it by painting on the mask. That's a more flexible approach than separating the image into parts through extraction.

I'm assuming that you're familiar with layer masks. If not, that's the place to start. There are tons of free tutorials available.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David,

Yes, that makes a lot more sense, thank you.

As for Layer Masks; I definitely need to read up on them!

Thanks for the help,

Julian.