Thread: Whats lightroom do that aperture doesn't?

caseyargall

Default Whats lightroom do that aperture doesn't?

Hi, i'm just trialling aperture and so far so good and the price is afordable too....
    but i read so much about people using lightroom, i have not tried lightroom and i see it cost around $100au more...
    i guess what i'm asking is What does lightroom do that aperture does not?
    i guess i should say what i'm after: editing of raw files and pref the ability to add plugins(i know aperture does plugins). i dont do major changes to my photos so photoshop is not needed.
    thanks from casey.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Casey
    Aperture was my raw converter but decided to try out lightroom as Aperture 2 became unreliable . Tried out light room will not be going back to Aperture.

I find lightrooms editing is better and easier to use .It does not freeze or crash like aperture did ... . The library and cataloguing is really the big difference for me... but we all do photography for different reasons and we all have different needs . But my advice between the two spend the extra buy lightroom and a video tutorial online and you will not regret it.

peter

Alfred Forns

I used Aperture also but changed to LR Biggest reason was the library !!

I think LR is more functional and like that Adobe is behind the product. Now you can download LR 3 for free (Beta) will function until the release. Lots of tutorials available !!! Fully agree with Peter !!

caseyargall

Thankyou both :)
    I think i'll go with lightroom, i just downloaded the trial so i'll see how i go.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I used to work for Apple and while I really like Aperture (employees get a free copy), I paid for LR and that's what I use on a daily basis. I can think of really only one reason to pick aperture over LR and that is if you're near an Apple Retail Store. Apple offers in-store tutoring on a yearly basis for a really low price ($100 a year?). It's a great way to get tutoring and learn the software. They even help you in-store, get your files into Aperture etc. It's something to consider if all this seems intimidating.

caseyargall

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
    I used to work for Apple and while I really like Aperture (employees get a free copy), I paid for LR and that's what I use on a daily basis. I can think of really only one reason to pick aperture over LR and that is if you're near an Apple Retail Store. Apple offers in-store tutoring on a yearly basis for a really low price ($100 a year?). It's a great way to get tutoring and learn the software. They even help you in-store, get your files into Aperture etc. It's something to consider if all this seems intimidating.
    thanks for the info, i actually just descovered iphoto which does a cool job of organizing photos plus i am considering getting photoshop elements for adobe camera raw and i read it can do collages so thats cool....since i lost the ability to use my windows software that does that.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can use iPhoto for your organizer (PS Elements for Mac doesn't have an organizer) and in preferences set PS Elements to be the external editor. That will be editing in PS elements more seamless.

caseyargall

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
    You can use iPhoto for your organizer (PS Elements for Mac doesn't have an organizer) and in preferences set PS Elements to be the external editor. That will be editing in PS elements more seamless.
    hey, thanks for the tip :)