Thread: Full Frame - 5D or 5D Mark II or 1Ds Mark II

Steve Martin

Default Full Frame - 5D or 5D Mark II or 1Ds Mark II

Looking to purchase a full frame camera for Landscape and occasional Portraits. I currently own a Mark IIn & Mark III and love the pro bodies which pushes me towards a 1Ds Mark II. I'm really not interested in the video function but the file size and IQ of the 5D Mark II make it very interesting. I do plan to print large (at least 24 x 36). Which body would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have never owned a 1DS but I do have a 1D MKII and like you love the body style. I had the 5D MKII and sold it because I could not justify it to myself to keep it since I do not use FF often, so I went back to the original 5D (which I had before but sold it to go to the 5d2) and I am very happy with it. The original 5D still takes amazing photos, I printed a 24x36 from it from my trip to Grand Teton and the results were excellent.

I think you will be very happy with either of the 2, the 5D2 has some advantages as far as MP and extra features, liveview for landscapes can be quite useful, especially since you can see the histogram live.

If I had to decide I would get the 5D2 for a few reasons, 1) it has more features, like liveview, microfocus etc 2) more MP wont hurt for sure 3) has better noise control and higher iso settings 4)newer body and likely higher resale later 5) video ... may not use it now but you never know 6) LCD way better 7) warranty if you buy new

cost wise there is not going to be much difference, but keep in mind you will want the battery grip for the 5D2 as well

either way you will be in love :) even with the original 5D around 1K you would be happy :)

Alfred Forns

Great advice from Jamie and fully agree !!! Would go with the 5D2 Image quality is awesome !! The 1DsMk2 is not in the same league and its a much older camera. Noise wise there is no comparison either !!

The video feature is interesting, have seen some and might be trying some in the future !!!

William Malacarne

Bad information so deleted.

Sorry
    Bill
    Last edited by William Malacarne; 12-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,
    I agree with Jamie. I also have a 5D2 and 1DII and time and time again when I'm shooting action, I switch to the 5D2 and the images are simply stunning. And stunning on landscapes too. It's pretty neat to be able to say I cropped down to 17 megapixels. And for landscapes the 5D2 IQ rivals 6x7 film. The 5d2 noise floor is very good, much better than older generation cameras.
    Of course as soon as you buy the 5D2 the 1Ds4 will come out with more megapixels. I bet (hope) we'll see in the 30 megapixel range.

Many 5d2 images on my web site, from landscapes to wildlife.

Roger

Robert Amoruso

I owned the 1Ds Mark II and noise wise there is no comparison with the 5D Mark II (I own one) which is much better. I also owned the original 5D for a while but sold it in favor of the 1D Mark III for landscape which I was liking just as much.

Steve Martin

Thanks for all the input!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jamie, why do you think the battery grip on this camera is necessary?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have them on all my cameras, I hate using portrait style without the grips, to clumsy for me, especially when your using it for wildlife on a wimberley

but thats a personal preference obviously :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The vertical grip is almost a necessity in my opinion. The vertical shutter release makes it much easier on the wrists. I also activate the AF with a button on the back of the camera. The button is hard for me to reach in the vertical position, but the grip has the AF button in a convenient and easy to reach spot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

same thing here Jeff, I prefer using that to the shutter for focusing