Thread: Black Crake feeding

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Crake feeding

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would post a photo for my 100th post. And also take the opportunity to thank everyone for making BPN such a friendly and invaluable way to exchange ideas. A brilliant learning resource.

The picture shows a black crake foraging on water lilies. Probably invisible on this post - but the crake actually has an aquatic insect inside its slightly opened bill - that it has just extracted from underneath the lily pad.

Technical Details:
    Canon EOS 7D
    Canon 400mm f4 DO IS + 1.4x
    f6.3 @ 1/1000th sec
    ISO 400

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Phil, I totally agree with you about BPN. This is a great site because many persons around the world are ready to share images and information and because we all are tired of listening "wow, great shot". I think that the success of BPN is due to the honest critic approach :-)

The light in thi simage is a bit intense and I would prefer to see the bird paralell to the sensor. I like a lot the pose of the crake and the inquisitive red eye looking for prey. I like this kind of images that show birds in their daily rutines and environment

:-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Juan. While I like the pose of the bird foraging, the orientation seems wrong, leaving most of the bird out of focus. Anyway, it's always for me nice to learn about species I hadn't seen before.
    Thanks for posting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I would class this as more of a behavioural shot than a portrait. It was fun watching the crakes turn over the edges of the lily pads to snap up any insects hiding there.

Nate Chappell

Great job getting this one out in the open, it looks fairly soft to me, I imagine some more depth of field would have helped with the bird at this angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nate - It is really just the eye and head that is sharp. For me this was an action/behavioural shot and I concentrated on getting the head sharp using a high shutter speed, so not much depth of field for the body. It was such interesting behaviour watching the crake flip over the lily pads searching for food.