Thread: Painterly Bosque Sandhill Crane

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Painterly Bosque Sandhill Crane

Attached Images Attached Images

I recently went to Bosque after so many folks have been telling me that it's a "must visit" place. I must say that Bosque certainly is not overrated! Beside the cranes there are plenty of other bird species and wildlife to photograph.

I don't know how or why some images come out looking painterly but I love when they do. This is the only one that turned out with that look from my Bosque trip.

Canon EF 400 f/5.6L USM on 1D Mark III
    1/1250s @ f/7.1, ISO 1000
    Taken hand held
    Last edited by Amy Marques; 12-18-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There's a lot to like in this image, Amy. The open beak, the flight angle, the wing position, the comp, the soft light, and the sharpness. It must have been one of those cold early mornings because the crane has its legs tucked into its feathers - I saw a lot of that when I was down there. :) My only minor comment is that the eye seems a bit oversaturated. Otherwise, very well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action--great angle and wonderful open beak, Amy.
    And one cold crane!:)
    I would wish for that upside wing to be a bit higher to leave less shadow-- but that doesn't always happen.

Ofer Levy

Attached Images Attached Images

I think this is a fantastic shot. Pose is great and techs are spot on. Here is a repost with some more room on the sides and slight levels, S/H and boost in contrast. Also applied some cooling filter to get some more of the blue at the BG. Saved as sRGB for web presentation. Would love to hear feedback.
    Cheers,
    Ofer
    Last edited by Ofer Levy; 12-11-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ofer. I think I prefer it with more space as you have it- fortunately I have that extra space available. More contrast is also a good idea but maybe at about midpoint between yours and mine. Somehow your version has something weird going on in with the pixels in the bg. Thanks for taking the time to try improving it.

Ofer Levy

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Marques View Post
    Hi Ofer. I think I prefer it with more space as you have it- fortunately I have that extra space available. More contrast is also a good idea but maybe at about midpoint between yours and mine. Somehow your version has something weird going on in with the pixels in the bg. Thanks for taking the time to try improving it.
    I am pleased you like it Amy. The 'something weired going on with the pixels in the BG' has nothing to do with my adjustment - it happens when you manipulate such a small file. It will not happen when you work on the RAW file.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, ok. :) Thanks!

david cramer

Wonderful pose and great detail, Amy. Congrats. I hope you come back to Bosque!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will, David- and thanks for the wonderful wild horse experience and warm parka! hee hee hee ~;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the softer, less contrasty look of the original. I love the calling pose and the feet tucked in--it must have been cold. I wish only for a better near wing position.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.