Thread: The Green Machine

Bill McCrystyn

Default The Green Machine

Attached Images Attached Images

20D 100-400L IS @ ISO400 F/8 1/1000 PATTERN HANDHELD ON BOAT

I was actually out and about shooting Cattle Egrets on an island rookery on the lake when as I glanced up looking for incoming birds and a flight shot what do I see perched above it all but a Green Heron taking it all in. Something a little differant than the typical water hunting posture.

Robert O'Toole

Hi Bill

Nice looking bird in nice lighting.
    A couple things that I would change next time to really improve the image would be processing. The image looks a little incorrectly processed and pixelated. Also I would but the bird up higher and more in the corner following the thirds rule. Also the head angle is poor since the bird is looking away.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Bill McCrystyn

Thanks Robert. I think I see a little sharpening halo. That was before I knew about Modify/contract. I'm learning and your comments are appreciated. I can go back in and rework the crop and PP. Thanks -

Bill McCrystyn

Default Rework From Raw

See if you like this better and aside from head position if any other improvements would help.

Bill McCrystyn

Default Tighter Crop

Closer to the original post - same edit as rework. Ya know now that you have made me really look at this thing I have noticed a big differance (way more than usual) between the Tif and JP. When I transfer here I lose that gleam in the eye and a lot of white definition in the shoulder and the back loses almost all definition. I know of course there is a differance but I never have noticed it as much as on this shot.
    Last edited by Bill McCrystyn; 02-18-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Robert O'Toole

Hi Bill

The rework much more pleasing to my eyes, the new composition is much more balanced. Also now that the crop isnt so tight the pixelation is much less visable.
    I like this version much more. Now I only wish this guy would have glanced back over his shoulder or turned his head a little more towards the camera to make the shot even better.

Robert