Thread: Barred Owl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barred Owl

Saw my first Barred Owl on Saturday. Actually my first wild owl of any kind. He let me get quite close and I had a wonderful time photographing him over a good period of time. I watched him sleep, then hunt, then eat, then sleep again. I'll never forget it.

I cropped this 5:4 to show as much detail as I could with the size restriction here. I think it still works although generally I like images wider. He mostly had his eyes closed while I was trying to photograph him. So I waited for the occasions he'd open his eyes and look in my direction. I think this was one of the better shots in terms of getting some light and reflection in his eyes. Their eyes are very dark.
    Comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks for looking
    James

Canon 7D + 100-400L @340mm
    1/100, f/7.1, ISO 400, tripod, remote shutter release, MLU

Brian Barcelos

Congrats on your first owl encounter, I'm still waiting for mine. Love the look back and the depth in his eyes. Lots of detail in the feathers and I like the green BG. I'd clone out the branch and crop some off the left and add more room to the top and right. Congrats again

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on your first wild owl! 340mm...yep, it was close! Fantastic details on the face. I bit tight above and right. Seems to be a greenish cast on the face that should be easy to correct with "Color balance" in PS.

jfranciskay

I am jealous! I have never seen on either. I Keep hearing them in the woods so I know they are there. A nice capture. I agree withe the others on the crop, branch and the color cast. But what a great pose and tremendous close up. Nice and sharp with good details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool close up portrait. Great detail and expression in the face. Congrats.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great find, this must be a very cooperative bird. My local owls were much more skittish. I also see a slight green cast and would give it more room.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks. Yes, great fun to photograph this owl.

I'll have to check my monitor or something. I can't see the greenish cast. Or if it's very faint, maybe I'm not quite attuned enough myself.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Big congratulations on this wonderful find. Excellent eye contact and awesome detail. I hope you will be posting some more James !!!!! Thanks for sharing.