Thread: Seattle in March?

Beth Goffe

Default Seattle in March?

I'm considering a visit to Seattle-based relatives sometime this coming March and am hoping to do some birding and bird photography. Any suggestions for good photography at that time of year? I understand that there are a couple of resident pods of Orca in Puget Sound that may be around but I'm guessing it's too early to see other whale species? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beth,

There are some good places around seattle. There is a book published in the early 90s called birding in seattle and king county which is still quite applicable. I have found used copies on amazon.

-S

Brad Manchas

March is a little early for Orca in the Strait of Juan de Fuca or Puget Sound, April to May is considered the earliest J,K or L pods are found in these US waters. The prime time is between roughly June to Sept. March however should find you some Gray Whales and possibly some Minke whales as well.

There are tours based out of Port Townsend, or the San Juan Islands that would put you out into the strait for these animals. A couple hours and a ferry ride out of Seattle to get there. Port Townsend and the surrounding area can give you some nice shots of some less often seen pelagic specieis from shore like Murres.

For local Seattle birding there is the Montlake Fill on the UW campus, across the lake from there is Juanita Beach area both can be productive however a couple hours will cover both completely on most days.

Further out from Seattle going north is Fir Island and the Skagit River delta, very productive for raptors and waterfowl. March should still have Snow Geese in the 10's of thousands, Eagles in the hundreds along the river and numerous other species. Again a couple hour trip.

Going a couple hours south will take you to Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, with the recent changes to this area, dike removal and expanded estuary makes predicting what will be there a bit tough as this is the first winter but usually thousands of waterfowl and eagles usually numbering in several dozen.

If you have the time for a full day trip out of Seattle make the attempt to get to Hoquiam and Bowerman basin of Grays Harbor. The start of a couple million shorebirds heading south will be laying over in the mud flats, and of course the predators wil be following along like Peregrines and other raptors.

There are a lot of places to visit usually each with their own species that could be found. If you have an idea of what in particular you are hoping to capture then additional help might be possible. Enjoy your visit.

Beth Goffe

Brad, thanks very much for all of the suggestions. I will definitely discuss this with my guests, hopefully see some good birds while I'm there.

Kathy Westover

Hello all -
    I'm going to piggyback on Beth's request by mentioning that I am coming out to the Seattle area for 4 days the first week of July. Any suggestions for must-see places and nature photography opportunities is greatly appreciated. My first time there! Thanks so much.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I spent Memorial Day weekend in Seattle and used the following site for planning purposes:

http://birdweb.org/birdweb/birding_s...sis=%27site%27

Discovery Park on Saturday morning was pretty much disappointing. Some distant Bald Eagles, lots of spotted towhees, sparrows, goldfinches etc. along the loop trail but rarely any situations good for photography. Absolutely nothing of interest at the South and North Beach.

I took the ferry to Bremerton in the afternoon as some birders recommend it but again no good photographic opportunities. Saw some cormorants and Pigeon Guillemot but that was pretty much it. Not even a lot of gulls...

Sunday though I spent at Union Bay National Area and the place was hopping albeit with a lot of common species (blackbirds, marsh wrens, yellowthroats, pied-billed grebe, robins etc.). Personal highlight for me was a flock of Cedar Waxwings suddenly dropping in.

I could imagine that in winter and during the peak of migration this can be a great spot. Not sure though about July. Note, bring your longest lens. I brought my 400 and longed for my 500.

Hope that helps. JR