Thread: Need software advice for Mrs. Claus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Need software advice for Mrs. Claus

I really don't need or want anything for Christmas so I am looking for recommendations for a program she can get me for editing purposes. Lets keep the cost below $300 or so.

I like to keep my work flow simple and straight forward. Currently use CS3, Neat Image, and Photomatix when the desire occurs. Demo'd (sic) LR a couple times and I never warmed up to it.

Which program will best serve my needs to localize adjustments quickly such as shadow / highlights, have some basic enhancing effects within and maybe improved sharpening over USM ?

I would like it to be user friendly with out a huge learning curve as I would rather spend my precious free time shooting than sitting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Axel Hildebrandt

Viveza is great for local adjustments and they are just about to release a new version. It doesn't do any sharpening, though. If you purchase it now, you will get the new version for free (in case v.2 is not available yet). Nik Software also has a sharpening software but I'm not familiar with it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Upgrade to CS4, $199.00 from Adobe. It will do what you need.

Jim

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by James Prudente View Post
    Upgrade to CS4, $199.00 from Adobe. It will do what you need.

Jim
    Rumor has it that Adobe will release CS5 in April or so.

BPN Viewer
    Clinton, Connecticut, United States, 06413
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A second vote for Viveza. The ability to apply localized adjustments without doing your own masking is really good. Niksharpener is also good with ability to control where you apply it. If I had to choose, I'd go for Viveza.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Rumor has it that Adobe will release CS5 in April or so.
    Lightroom 3 public beta expires in April 2010. But Adobe is very quiet about CS5 Photoshop. It is unlikely there will be a public beta at this time. The product cycle of Photoshop says it should be released between March and June 2010, but several factors may delay its release. Photoshop for Apple is still 32 bit and the 64 bit version (more or less promised for CS5) may cause the ship date to be delayed until summer. To the best of my knowledge there is not even a late Alpha version released yet. Generally, it's 6 to 8 months from when programs come out of Alpha, goes Beta and then are released. At this time I would expect a release of Photoshop between June and August, during the back to school market.

Julie Kenward

Here's another vote for Viveza. Although Adobe Camera Raw can do most of what Viveza can do it doesn't do it as well or as easily IMO. I now do very basic workflow in Camera Raw and then jump over to Viveza to really tweak the image.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post

Which program will best serve my needs to localize adjustments quickly such as shadow / highlights, have some basic enhancing effects within and maybe improved sharpening over USM ?

I would like it to be user friendly with out a huge learning curve as I would rather spend my precious free time shooting than sitting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    If you really want sharpening, you need to get into image deconvolution. Unsharp mask is not sharpening at all, it is edge contrast enhancement. ImagesPlus ($210) is astronomical software and does image deconvolution quite well. The user interface is a little strange but does not take long to do the basics. It is really for astrophoto processing but does many standard operations, like saturation enhancement, much better than photoshop because it uses "real math." Photoshop still uses integer math with approximations. ImagesPlus does not have color managed work flow. I read a tif in, do the work I need, go back to photoshop and reassign the color space. Works great, but you do have to remember to reassign the color space. Funky but gets the job done like no other software I've seen.

Roger

Michael Pancier

I also suggest viveza. it's the most powerful editing tool out there right now.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, so if one already has LR 2.5, do you think the Viveza ia all that one needs, for the general guy!
    Don

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm hoping you have this one wrong. They are demonstrating bits and pieces of CS5 around the web with the usual caveats of "no guarantee this will make it into the next release."

Here is one example: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=540977923979

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
    Lightroom 3 public beta expires in April 2010. But Adobe is very quiet about CS5 Photoshop. It is unlikely there will be a public beta at this time. The product cycle of Photoshop says it should be released between March and June 2010, but several factors may delay its release. Photoshop for Apple is still 32 bit and the 64 bit version (more or less promised for CS5) may cause the ship date to be delayed until summer. To the best of my knowledge there is not even a late Alpha version released yet. Generally, it's 6 to 8 months from when programs come out of Alpha, goes Beta and then are released. At this time I would expect a release of Photoshop between June and August, during the back to school market.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That video has made the rounds. I believe it was created for the recent NAPP convention in Las Vegas. The disclaimer is very accurate. This technology may not make it for CS5, CS6 or may never make it to a release in that form. Lightroom 3 should be available in April or May. Photoshop probably won't get released at the same time, poor marketing for PS. They compete against each other in some respect, so why cannibalize your own market. Get people to buy LR first, then in a couple of months release CS5 and get them to upgrade that as well.