Thread: Piping Plover

Philip Pietri

Default Piping Plover

This was taken at Howard Park in Tarpon Springs Florida. For those in the area who are unfamiliar, this is an excellent location for shooting shorebirds and waders. If you ever want to shoot Oyster Catchers it is definitely the place to be.

This was shot on a lovely November evening. I brought Darth Junior out and we were having difficulty with this Piping Plover as he had the tendency to walk 'too close' to us for a decent shot. We weren't complaining.

Camera: Nikon D70
    Exposure: 1/3200 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 220 mm
    ISO Speed: 500
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice compostion and image design. It is noisy, even in the light feathers. No need for ISO 500--should have been at ISO 200 esp. with that camera... The dark lines in the BKGR are distracting.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Art on all counts here. these guys are fast and never stay still. A real challenge. I do like the birds general pose and the details however. And since you live close by, then you can keep going back. Tell your dad I said hello. We grew up together and I have not seen him in a very long time.

Philip Pietri

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    It is noisy, even in the light feathers. No need for ISO 500--should have been at ISO 200 esp. with that camera...
    That's a great tip, thanks! Blake actually mentioned the same thing yesterday. I've been plagued with noisy images since I started shooting last year so I'm excited to make the adjustment and see the results!

Alfred Forns

Hi Phiilip with the new D300 and D3 you can bump the ISO They are the first two NIkons with good ISO performance ..... but if worse comes to worse I rather have noise than blur !!!

The black line behind the little guy does take from a lovely image !!!!

Philip Pietri

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Weed View Post
    I agree with Art on all counts here. these guys are fast and never stay still. A real challenge. I do like the birds general pose and the details however. And since you live close by, then you can keep going back. Tell your dad I said hello. We grew up together and I have not seen him in a very long time.
    Just talked to him...

"Yeah, he's one of James old friends from back in the Palm River days. He was quite a character! A good guy none the less. Tell him I said hello back."

It's a small world!

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The dark lines in the BKGR are distracting,otherwise very nice angle and light!!!

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice light, details and composition. Aside from the dark line, a slightly higher angle might have helped to see the feet better.

Blake Shadle

Nice image, Philip. As Artie mentioned, it's well designed. I'm glad we got to talking about ISO yesterday :) That's the only bad part about Howard Park, there's a lot of "stuff" floating in the water near the shoreline, which means lines in your background. This image would be much stronger without the dark lines in the background.

Edit: I'm ok with the amount of feet visible.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like low angle and details on the bird....:)