Thread: Lanner Falcon

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lanner Falcon

Attached Images Attached Images

The Lanner Falcon is the commonest large falcon in South Africa, it vastly outnumbers the smaller African race of the Peregrine Falcon. This image was created in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (my favourite raptor photographic destination). The waterholes in this desert park attract large numbers of doves and sandgrouse. Consequently there are always a few (usually immature as is the case here) Lanner Falcons in attendance too, trying to grab an unlucky victim at the waterhole. The photography is not easy as these guys move very quickly, but its well worth the wait as they are truly spectacular birds.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
    Date/Time: 2007:06:22 10:19:30
    Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
    Aperture: 8
    Exposure mode: Av
    Exposure compensation: -1/3
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 400
    Lens: 500mm
    Focal length: 700mm

Jay Tan

I like this shot for its good light, nice background, beautiful wing spread and tail of bird. Only nit is head turned away from you. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Falcons are extremely fast raptors. I remember I've tried to capture black falcon in flight a few times but gave up very quickly.
    Now I can imagine you must have had very hard time to capture this bird like this with a 700mm !!! The picture is unbelievable sharp and the backdrop in harmony with the bird's plumage.
    Exceptionnal capture !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great capture Chris - you must be pleased wiith this one!! The complimentry BG is a big plus!

Philip Pietri

What a sweet shot! These guys are certainly quick so this is a phenomenally sharp capture considering such a lengthy zoom. If only some of that gorgeous light could have snuck under the right wing. I might have placed the subject just the sliiiightest bit lower in the frame and to the left. These are very picky nits. You should be a very happy person to have this shot in your collection. Wonderful post.

Alfred Forns

Hi Chris Excellent capture must have been a treat !!! I like the pose and stare Bg is lovely Not sure where the light is coming from (right?) the body has such color compared to the underside of the wing !!!! Big Congrats on this fine image !!!!

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the colors,timing and BG!!!

Axel Hildebrandt

Great capture, details and BG. A bit more eye contact would have been nice but I like it as is. If the underside of the right wing were sunlit, it would have put it over the top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I want to go to Africa in the worst way. Keep some birds around for me will you. Looks like a painting. I like the effect.

Jose Suro

Outstanding image. One of the better ones I've seen here lately. Love the light and background.

Best,

Jose

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. You are certainly all welcome in Africa, we have wonderful birds to photograph at wonderful places! Just let me know when you are planning to come, we will have great fun.