Thread: Sandhill Crane Take-off

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sandhill Crane Take-off

Attached Images Attached Images

ISO 1000 f6.3 1/1000s; hand-held, manual mode.

Cropped.

Here's an example of what not to do when shooting BIF: vertical mode. Angle is off a bit, too, among other defects. :D

C&C welcome !

Thank you for looking !

Lance Peters

Hi Desmond - ;) Tongue in cheek -- a little more room up front would be good - some space for him to take off into.

IS there a slight blue cast present?? - on my screen the white feathers look blueish??

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Peters View Post
    Hi Desmond - ;) Tongue in cheek -- a little more room up front would be good - some space for him to take off into.
    Hehe...

IS there a slight blue cast present?? - on my screen the white feathers look blueish??
    White feathers on the cheek? The B perhaps overall a point or two above the R and G.

Gus Cobos

This one is screaming horizontal Desmond...:D Mr. Bird does need more room to his right and some jumping room to the left...The feather details are good, with a good head angle and sharp eye...:cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Cobos View Post
    This one is screaming horizontal Desmond...:D Mr. Bird does need more room to his right and some jumping room to the left...
    I knew :o But I was shooting vertical and it took off :(

BTW, I was using a monopod and so not hand-held. Sorry :o

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Gus about "screaming horizontal".

Alfred Forns

... would be kicking myself also Love the feather detail and sharpness !!!! :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Desmond, Please include kit info too. You know what I am going to say. Horizontal seem best and top BG is messy, but its a beautiful baby,..wish I could see one.

david cramer

It's always worth a try to get the shot, even when in the wrong orientation. But it usually doesn't produce a keeper, as you've already noted. I also see too much blue in the bird, where it should be gray.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

BUT YOU WERE HANDHELD!! you need to think quicker!!!! :) flip that thing over and go to town!! :) but it is sharp!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, bucking the crowd as usual, I will say that I like the vertical here and with a bit more wind, the bird might have angled its take-off more upward for a real winner. As a vertical, you got some nice ducks in the BKGR. My big problem is with the scraggly grass by the feet. BTW, sharp with a good EXP. Not to mention when you create flight verticals you greatly increase your chance of a magazine cover.

I am gonna check the white balance; be right back. (It looks pretty good to me.)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harold davis View Post
    flip that thing over and go to town!! :)
    It was on monopod. Every split of a second count, you know :o
    Last edited by Desmond Chan; 11-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Well, bucking the crowd as usual, I will say that I like the vertical here and with a bit more wind, the bird might have angled its take-off more upward for a real winner. As a vertical, you got some nice ducks in the BKGR. My big problem is with the scraggly grass by the feet. BTW, sharp with a good EXP. Not to mention when you create flight verticals you greatly increase your chance of a magazine cover.

I am gonna check the white balance; be right back. (It looks pretty good to me.)

Thank you for the comments, Artie !! I did read somewhere that it's good to shoot in vertical format sometimes for the reason that magazines use shots in that format.

Thank you everyone !!