Thread: BreastStroke

Brian Wong

Default BreastStroke

Attached Images Attached Images

BreastStroke - Chinstrap Penguin

2 months ago, Half Moon Island, Antarctica.

Almost a BIF!! :) Thank you for looking, and especially for all the helpful comments!

EOS 40D, 70-200/2.8 @200, 1.4x TC
    1/1600, f/4.5, ISO 200, handheld, manual exposure

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the composition,timing and the head turn!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great framing and getting the peak of the action. The belly whites look hot and I could do without the diagonal wavlet.

Not sure if you answered this on the last one and I missed it; were you on the Van Os trip?

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great timing and pose. I can almost see him fly, too. :) The whites look good on my monitor.

Brian Wong

Thank you for all the comments, and encouragements!

Hi Artie!

No, this was not on a VanOs trip. I decided to go to Antarctica on my own, and wanted to see how much I could apply (photography-wise) with my present knowledge. It was a first time experience for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed, and recommend the adventure (even though I loss my cookies)! Thanks, and getting rid of the diagonal wavelet will not be a problem.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wong View Post
    Thank you for all the comments, and encouragements!

Hi Artie! No, this was not on a VanOs trip. I decided to go to Antarctica on my own, and wanted to see how much I could apply (photography-wise) with my present knowledge.
    Hey Bri, Now you have my attention... Just how does one go to Antarctica "on his own???"

thanks and later and love, and YAW,

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Brian Wong

Default Repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Artie!

Ha! :) Ha! ... "On my own" meaning that I decided not to join any particular "photography workshop" group (like VanOs or others) for this trip. I was also amazed to see and meet people onboard who would travel to Ushuaia, and just board "stand-by" style on the next available ship to Antarctica (apparently the fare was cheaper that way). Also, we did see a guy on a sailboat down there ... now that is really "on his own"!!!

Here is a reworked repost. I do like it much more without the diagonal wavelet. I can now see that wavelet as a pretty terrible merge with the penguin. I had left it originally believing the element might add dynamics, and possibly the intersection would keep attention near the power point. I also tried to bring down the whites a tad. Hope you like the changes.

I thank you all again for all the great suggestions for improvements!

Axel Hildebrandt

The repost really does make a difference.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wong View Post
    Hi Artie!

Ha! :) Ha! ... "On my own" meaning that I decided not to join any particular "photography workshop" group (like VanOs or others) for this trip. I was also amazed to see and meet people onboard who would travel to Ushuaia, and just board "stand-by" style on the next available ship to Antarctica (apparently the fare was cheaper that way). Also, we did see a guy on a sailboat down there ... now that is really "on his own"!!!

Here is a reworked repost. I do like it much more without the diagonal wavelet. I can now see that wavelet as a pretty terrible merge with the penguin. I had left it originally believing the element might add dynamics, and possibly the intersection would keep attention near the power point. I also tried to bring down the whites a tad. Hope you like the changes.

I thank you all again for all the great suggestions for improvements!
    Hi Bri, I figured that that was what you meant... The re-post is much better with the wavelet...

Later and thanks and love, artie

ps: Did you have time and freedom for photography?

Brian Wong

Hi Artie!

Yep, I went down there on my trip-of-a-lifetime with the goal of practicing some photography. While on shore, we had only about 1 hour, and travel (for good reason) was severely restricted. But we averaged 2 landings per day, and even had a very long day with 4 landings. Unfortunately, I found knee pads were much more valuable than the tripod!