Thread: European Black Kite

John Harper

Default European Black Kite

Hi There

Shot of a European Black Kite in flying demonstration at the Hawk Conservancy trust. This shot was taken in April of last year at the start of my bird photography exploits and was prior to getting the 500mm when i was using the 400mm F5.6 L which in my opinion is a fantastic lens for these sort of shots if you can't justify or afford the bigger super tele lenses.

John

EOS 1DMKIIN
    EF 400 F5.6L
    ISO 400
    1/2500 @ 5.6

Axel Hildebrandt

Very cool pose, just wish for a bit more eye contact. Thanks for sharing! I agree the 400f/5.6 is excellent for BIF images. Especially with focus limiting it focuses almost instantaneously. I think Jody Melanson uses it more or less exclusively.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 02-14-2008 at 11:16 AM.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Very cool pose, just wish for a bit more eye contact. Thanks for sharing! I agree the 400f/5.6 is excellent for BIF images. Especially with focus limiting it focuses almost instantaneously. I think Jody Melanson uses it more or less exclusively.
    Hi Axel

Thanks for taking a look, the 400mm is a lens i should use more than i do, its great for handholding and you can swing it around all day without your shoulder or back aching.

The problem is when you have one of the big tele lenses (500 F4L in my case) the temptation is to never take it off the camera... its costs 5 or 6 times more than the 400mm so it must take better pictures... tends to be the mindset that sets in.

You have spent all this money so it must be on the camera all the time.. when maybe a smaller lighter lens would get shots that are pretty close to it.

John

Axel Hildebrandt

Yes, I'm guilty as charged. :) When you can get close, the 400 is great. One difference I see is that the BG looks smoother with the 500 which is not an issue if the BG is the sky. Another difference is that it seems easier to sharpen images made with the 500 since the details look less coarse, for the lack of a better word.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 02-14-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Robert Amoruso

Nice work John. Beautiful bird and peak action. The stare is down and to me looks like he is going in for prey so that accentuates the bank and impending dive. Eye contact not a prerequisite for success IMO here.

Jeff Nadler

I love the curvurture comp and am quite happy with the eye position.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    You continue to outdo yourself. What an action filled flight shot. Love the whole position of the bird with those curves. Well done.

Gus Cobos

Excellent capture John,
    I like that drastic in flight turn. you display razor sharp details and good color rendition...congrats...:cool: