Thread: First Posting

Steve Ashton

Default First Posting

Attached Images Attached Images

First post on the forum. Bird photography is a new passion of mine. This was taken some time ago in the days of film.
    Nikon F5 500mm F4 Nikkor AFS Sanibel Island Florida

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting photograph, I like the minimalist composition. I don't mind the centered bird in this case, but would prefer to see it a little bigger in the frame. "Bird photography is a new passion of mine" you say...great choice of hobby, actually two hobbies (photography and birding)!! There is a blueish/purplish cast that can be corrected. Welcome aboard!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This has a nice feel to it. I'd love to see it larger in the frame and with a bit of a forward look. I think the cast contributes to the mood. I wouldn't remove it completely, but might tone it down some.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome. Good job by the gentlemen above. You might try a crop from the right and the bottom. Have you seen the (digital) light yet???

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Fabs Forns

Big welcome, Steve, looking forward to making your BPN experience a great adventure.

Great critique above, ditto from me :)

Maxis Gamez

Hi Steve,

I have to agree with others. Looks a little dark and perhaps some NR. Keep them coming!

Judy Lynn Malloch

Big welcome Steve glad to have you posting here at BPN and look forward to seeing your future posts. I agree with preceding comments. Thanks for sharing !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The background is a big distraction for me. Almost looks like a hand.
    Cropping like Artie suggested should help out tons.

Doug

Steve Ashton

Thanks folks I appreciate the comments. Mr Morris Sir.... you alone are responsible for my love of bird photography. I have followed your every word for many years after picking up a copy of your book.... This prompted two trips to Sanibel and some very expensive equipment. My wife thanks you Sir!!!

Four years ago I set up with my wife a photography business and time has been limited for other things birding and wildlife photography got let behind. As the business has developed I am finding I can take time for me again and the love of birds never left me... So here I am again.

Yes I am now digital and have been using Canon DSLR equipment for some time in the business. I hope to be posting some more recent work as soon as some basic level of skill comes back to me.

I a based in the UK and our birding is not like that in the states in many ways.... guess we will be doing some travel soon. Arti please come to the UK .... and do some sessions over here...

Regards Steve