Thread: My own big lens!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My own big lens!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,
    this is my first shown picture with my brandnew (used) 500 mm 4.0 L IS Lens!!! :D
    Tried my new lens with the beautiful kingfisher ( and with extension tube) today.

Mark III / Canon 500 4 IS
    f 7.1 / 1/ 640 sec / ISO 640

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on your new toy! What a beautiful bird. Looks nice and sharp with a pleasing BG.

Maybe a touch off the top and a bit of an adjustment to tone down the bright perch just a bit?

Blake Shadle

Congrats on the new glass! The detail is outstanding! I really like the background. I'd like to see the bird placed a bit higher in the frame. I'm going to go ahead and take a guess and say you're enjoying the new lens ;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Blake,
    oh yes, I enjoy it a lot!!!!
    The picture above is no crop at all, so there is enough opportunity for cropping.... I just tried the new lens and the vertical composition. I think for a really well balanced image I should add some canvas (big fun: add, instead of crop :-)))) at the right side, behind the bird; I feel that it is a tad too tight; and, Jim, of course you are right, I have to adjust the highlights a bit: I am so happy about the lens, that I am so curious about the picture right out of the cam... :-))))

Alfred Forns

Big Congrats on your new toy !!!! Will enjoy One of the finest you can get !!!

Love that bg and pose If anything will give it an extra usm pass around the head and maybe a little room behind the bird It is very sharp but feel you could even bring a tad more !!!! Big Congrats on this fine image !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you get tired of the new toy, send it to me. I use the MK2n. And I want the 500 for my Kingfishers here inm Maine USA. A very nice photo.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful colors and sharpnes!
    Congrats on new toy :))...I am little jealous ;) but very happy for you......hope to see more of your outstanding captures with new toy :))
    If price is not secret can you tell me?....I have problem finding used 500 f4 lens here in Europe ...and new is way too expensive for me :(

David Roach

Looks like a definite keeper!!!!! Looking forward to more posts from that new toy!! Congrats!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image.. with what looks like a very good used lens.. must have only been used by a little old lady on sunday

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the new lens and the fine image! You're going to love your new toy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super image! I only wish the downward pointing part of the branch wasn't obstructing the tail as much. I don't think there are many people dissapointed in this lens - one I'd love to own one day...I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come! :-)

Steve Wheeler

Well I'm jealous on several levels... Your new lens and this beautiful image! Very nice first post taken with your new toy... ahhhhh.. tool!

Lovely image and bird!

Steve

Fabs Forns

Congratulations on your new toy and on one fine image. Great detail and composition :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mazel tov. Best advice: do not drop it... Well done on the pic. Slight HAP infraction...

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Looks great, I like the details and BG. I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy. I've been in photography heaven since using the 500.

Maxis Gamez

Congrats on the lens!! I would love to see this image in horizontal as well.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Congratulations Rosi on a beautiful capture with your new toy. Oh what fun you will have and I will be looking forward to your future posts. Excellent detail in this image . Fine work !!!!

BeePNogie

Enjoy your new lens!!

Maybe if me visits you, you can take pictures of me with it :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Great shot Rosl, that new glass works well - lovely BG, colours and sharpness - looking forward to more
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats for the lense and the fisher :-)

Dan O'Leary

So you get a new 500 and have to use an EXTENSION TUBE to photograph a KINGFISHER and then ADD canvas!? I'd be lucky to get close enough to one to use an 800+1.4+2.0x! ;-)

Congrats on the (great) new lens and this excellent image. I agree about adding to the right. Beautiful bird. Enjoy!!

Jose Suro

Congratulations on the Glass. Looks like you made a fine purchase. Lovely image.

Best,

Jose

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice bokeh. The branch is washed out. May be you can work on the highlights. Can try out with positioning of the kingfisher to slightly more offcentre. Look forward to more postings

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to all of you for all your loving congrats!
    I am happy to be here and it's really fun to be in contact with you, all in love with birdphotography like me!

I'll show a horizontal image of the beautiful bird.... Let's see, which one you like more.