Thread: Brown Pelican on Perch

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown Pelican on Perch

Attached Images Attached Images

Today 2-13-08 at 8:02am, Canon 40D, 100-400L at 235mm
    ISO 640, 1/125. f5.0, +.33 EV, Partial Metering, Cloudy WB setting
    Flash used compulsory mode because of deep overcast conditions!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill....
    This guy sure fills the frame........maybe a little too much. I'd give him a little more room if you had it. The tones of the pelican certainly stand out from the pretty green BG. I might back off of the sharpening to give him a softer look....you might get a painterly look out of it.

Richard Kowalski

Hey Bill,
    Exposure looks good. Seems a little tight in the frame, especially the bottom and maybe in front.
    Some might say the bg is too busy, but I like it

Jeff Nadler

Bill, it's a bit too contrasty for me. I really love the plumage details on this species in softer light. I find that with sun and flash, it is just tougher to do.

Robert Amoruso

Bill,

You have nice eye contact. In these cases, if the birds profile is a few degrees towards you and you focus on the eye, the beak will be in focus too. In this image the beak is not critically focuses like the eye since he is turned more then a few degrees towards you. That is not a problem here - I am just elaborating on the process of fine-tuning this head-angle thing.

I like the detail in the feathers. Other comments on contrast and room in the frame are on target. You are posting better and better images. Good work.