Thread: Immature Broad-Billed Hummingbird

Richard Kowalski

Default Immature Broad-Billed Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

This scruffy fellow visited my feeders last September. Kinda reminds me of a teenager who can't yet grow a mustache!

My new place is apparently in a sweet spot in Tucson. I had about 75 hummers of 6 different species visiting my feeders every day during the fall migration. Since there is almost no landscaping, I'll be putting in native Arizonan plants specifically to attract hummers. I can't wait for the Spring migration north!

Canon 20D, 1/1600th, Tv, ISO 1600
    Sigma 50-500 / 500mm @ f/ 10
    Don't have any additional processing details at the moment.
    Last edited by Richard Kowalski; 02-13-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird and background and nicely captured.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard
    It sounds like you live in "hummer heaven"........get those native plants going. This one is a little scruffy.....but he looks puffed up proud. Was this really ISO 1600?

Richard Kowalski

I'm sure he looks better now with his adult feathers!
    Yep 1600. I was just beyond the minimum focusing distance for my lens, wanted a good DoF & fast enough shutter to freeze their bodies if not their wings!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard
    I wondered if it was something like that. Great processing.........clean as a whistle.

Glenda Simmons

Hummer Heaven, indeed! I think you did a good job showing the beautiful colors of this Hummingbird.

In Florida, these birds, are VERY RARE. Last month, I took a day trip in hopes of getting a glimpse at the first ever banded Broad-billed in our state. I did and he was beautiful! A couple of weeks later, the second was banded in Florida. I hope this will be a continuing trend.Thanks for sharing this one.

Richard Kowalski

Thanks Glenda. I love the summertime when the BBs are regular visitors. We do have a small and growing over-wintering colony of them here in Tucson. I see them a few times a week. Most of my visitors are Anna's. The migrations should begin in the next few weeks. That'll be when I break out my 36 & 48 oz feeders!

Jeff Nadler

Lovely species! My eyes tell me the focus point was below the head and as one apporaches the eye, things start to get soft a bit.