Thread: Osprey with Fish

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey with Fish

Attached Images Attached Images

This is from Flamingo in the EvergladesNational Park, in the parking lot, just as you come into the store area. Along the inlet we spotted over 2 dozen of these guy's. Most fished the inlet's then took their catch to their favorite perch and ate the fish.

This bird almost flew into our windshield, only 15 feet from us. We got out, of course, set up our tripods and began fire away. We photographed this bird for over 1 hour. He would eat then look at us, then do it again. The sun was high to out left and diagonal to us. We set up our tripods at different distances. A van of tourists stopped soon and we split while they photographed him. It was unfazed.

This is what I came away with, under the circumstances it was my best. I have never been so close like this to a live, wild osprey and while it was eating. It was incredible.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 1/27/2008 1 pm, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 400, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length 300.0 mm. Cropped for a 9x12. 80% of frame here.

Lance Warley

This is amazing. Great opportunity, and you made the most of it.

I really like the way you handled the harsh sidelight, Grady.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mr. Fish is having a bad day. Super image. I'd only work on toning down some of the bright spots in the BG.

Axel Hildebrandt

The light angle and BG are not ideal but the action and the eyes of osprey and fish make this really interesting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Repost for suggestions.

Axel Hildebrandt

Maybe a really tight crop is a good idea. You could even experiment with cropping a bit off the osprey's back, left and bottom. Just an idea, I'm not sure it would work well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The face of the fish and the taons rock. A bit better head angle might have been attained... Great job of exposing for the bird.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Taylor Yeager

Great experience Grady! My suggestions have been mentioned.

Taylor