Thread: First Post: Ring-Billed Gull - Crab Breakfast

Philip Pietri

Default First Post: Ring-Billed Gull - Crab Breakfast

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone!

It's great to finally post here! I've been shooting for a little under a year now and I'm coming off of a month long spell without hitting a shutter (yikes). I will say I was pretty stale this past weekend but I'm sure your comments and constructive criticisms will pull me out of it.

This shot was taken at Ft. Desoto in Tierra Verde, FL on Saturday. While I was out there I had the privilege of meeting one of our Moderators, George DeCamp.

Nikon D70
    Tamron 200-500mm

Shutter Speed: 1/500
    Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
    F-Stop: f/8
    Focal Length: 230mm

I use a calibrated monitor at work and the exposure looks decent but I've noticed on more 'contrasty' monitors the sides seem pretty blown up. My only other concern is this - should this be rotated? I understand the horizon is not level. When rotated appropriately in relation to the horizon the bird looks as if it is (I'm going to use a Blake Shadle term) "sliding down a mountain".

I look forward to hearing any additional comments.

Richard Kowalski

I'd be tempted to "raise" the level of the Gulf on the right side, but I would not rotate the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I think it depends on which "horizon" you look at. In the distance, it seems that the land slopes naturally. The shore line looks like it isn't level but that could be a matter of angles too.

I'd do a slight blur on the BG to get rid of the noise there and put the focus on the bird rather than on some of the shells.
    The warm cast on the bird is nice, but the sky seems to to robbed of color.

Some quick playing with it:

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great light,angle and timing!!!

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the angle, use of DOF and light. The snack adds to it. I might crop a bit off the top.

Fabs Forns

Welcome Philip!!! Glad you decoded to post!

Great action and detail. There's a very hot spot on the Gull, probably from post processing, right in front of the wing.

Looking forward to more from you :) I read your intro! Nice!

Maxis Gamez

I like the low angle and first pose. Keep a close eye to your BG next time. You did well with the exposure and details.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fuzz,
    Very nice image.
    Low level, well exposed and sharp. The image has interest and action.

The only thing I can see that would make this a stronger image is, a little of the top please.
    There is a white area just to the right of the gulls head, see if you have another frame without it.
    It is a bit distracting (could be the ADD) and was a result of wave action.

Glad to see you posting.

Fuzz,
    Fabs mentioned a hot spot. In the conversion process, go with a little cooler WB and I bet it goes away.

James

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great angle, great capture! Ilike it.

BigBob...

Blake Shadle

Birds falling down mountains is one of the leading causes of bird death in the southern US. (for those who actually read that statement and thought "really?" - no, not really)... Nice work. A little off the top, and some work on the background would be good. f/8 at 230mm is probably why the horizon doesn't smoothly run into the sky. f/6.3 at 500mm would have given you a much smoother background (I know I said shoot off the max aperture, but I'll risk it all for a good background!!) DOF becomes more shallow the greater your focal length (there's math involved, and I don't do math until after lunch) Keep it up.