Thread: Attacking Coopers Hawk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Attacking Coopers Hawk

New Jersey - 1D3, 300mm+1.4xTC, hand held, 1/2000, F6.3, ISO 500, manual exposure
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible work with a 1.4x. loved the sharp head and the slight blur on the feather tips. You are the best at this Jim. I am not too sure about the OOF tree...but am leaning towards liking it.

KD

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunnnig! Pose is superb, light is nice, detail is excelent and very nice comp and species. My only suggestion would be to sharpen the bird's edges a bit as they look soft compared to the rest of the bird. Congratulaitons!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Amazing pose, plumage details and eye contact. I like the subtle details in the sky but would probably remove the green LLC as I find it dragging my eye down from the hawk.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely posture Jim, such a powerful image! Another vote for removing the green patch.

Forum Participant Michael Zajac's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic wing pose and details. The BG is nice and I would clone the green patch also.

Graham Smith.

This is a beauty Jim!
    Love everything about the bird, but I agree with the other abouth the OOF foliage. Have you considered adding more room below the bird?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Insane pose. I like the green but might move it to the lrc. This one made the whole trip worthwhile. The detail in the wings is amazing, esp. on the far wing with the alula extended so far. How big a crop?

Note to all: the bird was pissed at a plastic owl atop some Radio Shack antenna poles.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As others have said, a superb image. I like the tree. Somehow, without it the image would look a bit studio. I don't know if that makes sense...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent pose, wing position and details. Top notch work.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Insane pose. I like the green but might move it to the lrc. This one made the whole trip worthwhile. The detail in the wings is amazing, esp. on the far wing with the alula extended so far. How big a crop?

Note to all: the bird was pissed at a plastic owl atop some Radio Shack antenna poles.
    Just a slight crop, Artie. As wild as the attack flights were, not one of the birds ever actualy touched the plastic Owl.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Brian Barcelos

Another great image, can't really add to what has been said. Do you use a blind and where do you choose as a spot to place the owl? I'd really love to try this technique. Congrats

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible spread on this CH!

Agree with Ramon's comments about sharpening on the edges of the bird. Was the sharpening done with a selection not including the outer edges to avoid halos?

The foliage doesn't really anchor anything for me so I would likely remove it. I might have tried a different crop with the bird higher in the frame and more sky below it to move into?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Total killer pose Indeed, loved the look on the bird too.. congrats..

Dan O'Leary

Wow - this is phenomenal, Jim. Looking forward to hitting Toho with you again sometime next year.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Barcelos View Post
    Another great image, can't really add to what has been said. Do you use a blind and where do you choose as a spot to place the owl? I'd really love to try this technique. Congrats
    I am pretty sure that the basics are in ABP. Most folks cover up somewhat with a throw-over blind. You choose a spot where the migrating hawks can see it!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Ajit Huilgol

Was drawn to this stunning image after reading Artie's birdsasart.com post today. Absolutely stunning is all I can say!

Suresh Basavaraju
    Fabulous action here. Got drawn to this image from Arthur Morris mailer. Glad to see this image and stumble on to this treasure house at birdphotographers.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh Basavaraju View Post
    Fabulous action here. Got drawn to this image from Arthur Morris mailer. Glad to see this image and stumble on to this treasure house at birdphotographers.net.
    We are glad that you found us. We have a large contingent of excellent Indian photographers here. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome shot Jim that really needs no improvement whatsoever.

Pleased to hear the plastic owl made it unscathed!