Thread: Magnificent Frigate Bird- Jensen Beach, FL

Shawn Marques

Magnificent Frigate Bird- Jensen Beach, FL

Attached Images Attached Images

I love these birds. They are so graceful with their huge wingspan of 7 1/2 feet! They have the largest wingspread in proportion to weight of any bird. These birds always seem to fly at a high level and I have never seen them land- they never land unless they are on a very tall perch as their short legs and narrow wings make it difficult to take off. Taken in mid-morning. Thanks for looking!

Canon 40D, Canon EF 600mm
    1/400s @ f/7.1, ISO 125, 600mm
    Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, Wimberely mount

Fabs Forns

Very nice pose and sharpness. It looks a little underxposed to me, remember, medium background and dark bird need extra light, specially when flying directly above you, the underside of the bird is in the shade.

Shawn Marques

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Very nice pose and sharpness. It looks a little underxposed to me, remember, medium background and dark bird need extra light, specially when flying directly above you, the underside of the bird is in the shade.
    Thanks, Fabs. I would have loved to gotten this bird at a banking pose but all I have ever seen them do is cruise by pretty much like this. Now that I own a Speedlite and Better Beamer, my next attempt may be more successful. Do you think that would help?

Fabs Forns

Yes, if the bird is close to you, just do the same as you did here, but open up your ISO to 400 for extra light. I don't think a slower shutter speed would deliver sharpness in flight. Your f/ stop seems OK, so next in line is an increase in ISO. OI never go under 400 ISO unless I need to blur.

Good luck to you, they are certainly magnificent!

Maxis Gamez

I agree with Fab on this one. I have yet to photograph these lovely birds. This image needs about 1 stop of extra light.