Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 Posts and Bad-Gala Luck

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 10,000 Posts and Bad-Gala Luck

Attached Images Attached Images

I am guessing that a few of you have seen this Great Blue Heron image . It is over course, the cover of ABP. When I reprinted 5,000 of these recently, I digitally improved the cover image by reducing the BKGR noise, eliminating the nictitating membrane over the eye, and getting rid of some stray branches and small hot spots on the leaves. You can compare either this image or better yet, the cover of the new edition with either the cover of the old edition or the chapter opener on page 148 of any edition.

Great Blue Heron, courtship twig passing, Venice Rookery. Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 lens with the T-90 body. Fuji Velvia pushed one stop to ISO 100. Center-weighted average metering -1/3 stop: 1/50 sec. at f/5.6

Yeah, I know, the whites are toasted but this was film and the image has done OK for itself :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

The great blue image above was awarded Grand Prize in Wildlife in the very first Nature's Best Contest. There was no ceremony, no nothing. The next year and every year since then they have had a huge party at the Smithsonian. Bad luck on my part :)

I learned a few weeks ago that the Northern Gannet image here has been awarded first prize in this year's Nature's Best Contest in the "Art in Nature" category. (I thanked them for naming the category after me :)) I was thrilled that I would get to go to the Smithsonian and have my picture taken with Steve Freligh while standing in front of the image. Then I kept reading and learned that there would be no gala celebration this year. You gotta love it!

Then I learned that the same image had been awarded First Prize in the Bird Category of the National Wildlife Federation Contest. All in all pretty darned rewarding. I have loved this image from the get-go.

An interesting note is that I entered the gannet image in the BBC Contest two years running and it did not do a thing.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Alfred Forns

Big Congrats on all accounts Artie !!!!!!! ............... You Da Man !!!!!!!!!!!!! Proud of you !!!!

Fabs Forns

Congrats on your 10K and on the NB. They didn't have a gala last year either because of the economy.
    Both are killer images as you know :)
    Thanks for all the guidance!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Congrats on your 10K and on the NB. They didn't have a gala last year either because of the economy. Both are killer images as you know :) Thanks for all the guidance!
    Thanks Fabs. Good to know that there was not one last year. I seem to remember that they had one the year that you had a highly honored image :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mr. Morris, congrats on your image being selected. The Gannets are well deserving.

Last edited by Mike Tracy; 10-25-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, Congratulations on contests and awards. I would also like to thank you for time and efforts here on BPN. I have learned a lot from you critiques and images. I have also found your books and CD to be of great value.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie--what do they say?== On any given Sunday. You just never know what wins or not--and I tend to believe also as times change, so does taste. Well either way, congrats on the wins.

The blue heron shot certainly brings back memories. You see Artie--there was a time when my 600 had narley a scratch on it and while i was using my right hand to run the camera--my left hand had your book in it open to some page or another. And the front cover shot I think is rather embossed on my brain. Probably most folks that shoot birds will have a similar tale to tell about their own learning process. I clearly remember wondering if I could ever get pictures as good as the ones in your book. In a very big way by sharing the knowledge, you have helped avian matters for generations, and all over the world, by way of your disciples. Quite a legacy for one man.

But can you cook?

Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Congrats on these images and your long career. You have inspired countless photographers to aim high, to not settle for good, but to strive for excellence. Not many of us make a major impact on our chosen field of endeavor. You have.

Randy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Both images are stunning. Congratulations Artie. Well deserved. I read what one of your students had said about you and it really touched me. I hope someday to have a great impact on others as you have. Thankyou for all your shared knowledge.

Paul Randall

Congrats on the 10,000 posts and of course the killer images. If only those herons knew how famous they would become (bird photography royalty)!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The gannet image was a stunner the first time I saw it.

Forget the gala ceremony...how many people have big contest divisions named after them?

:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow..10,000....hope I live so long...congratulations Artie...Gannet photo is awesome..

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Fabs. Good to know that there was not one last year. I seem to remember that they had one the year that you had a highly honored image :)
    Yes, Maestro, two years ago, when I won the Birds category, there was a huge Gala on the main lobby plus we had had one at the exhibit with the NB crowd, the winners and guests, we had interviews, plaques and a Steve F addressed the guests. The one downstairs was more formal, very lavish catering and many guests and speakers.
    I think the year before me, when Robert Am got his, there was no gala either. It depends on the sponsors, since the cost could be really high.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Artie,
    Congrats on 10,000! Don't feel bad my firend.....I didn't get one in 2004 and only found out about the Smithsonian hanging the last week it was up and I was on tour(my wife, kids, parents, and brother got to see it thoough).........both great images and well deserved. Mazel Tov!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

10K WOW, that would be impressive if you weren't already one of the busiest photogs in the business. How you had time make 10k meaningful posts is beyond comprehension. Congrats on the contests. I look forward to reading your next 10k posts.

All the Best,

Axel Hildebrandt

Congratulations on the milestone and the prizes, these really are excellent and deserving images. As for the gala, I bet you still have plenty of halibut that would be enough to host one yourself. :)

I think the heron image could be a bit less sharpened and some of the whites could go a tad darker for my taste.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for your heartfelt comments; I was quite moved by man of them. Axel, the whites on the GBH disappeared when the image was scanned. Fabs, go ahead and rub it in!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Si seņor!
    Both images are wonderful. Congratulations on the 10,000 posts!
    I can only say thank you so much because I have learned so much in this site.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Artie, thanks for everything

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie congratulations on your 10000th post as well as for these two award winning images. I recall the GBHs from my hard copy version of ABP. It was always a great image but I do like your re-work on this digital version as well.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, congratulations on your 10,000th post. You are a great inspiration to us all. I am forever grateful for the education and inspiration your books. images and posts continually supply (I have forgotten how many times I've read and re-read the books). You are a true leader in your field and your images deserve the honors granted them this year. If you need it I'll send you a cake and a bottle of bubbly!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the NB honor as well as the post milestone Artie!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guruji
    Big congratulations for awards and 10k
    each post you have made is a learning experince for people like me , big thanks for this

Harshad

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

congrats Artie, I am happy for you and your achievements., 10 k is a lot of advice, thanks for that too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot and congrats on your great achievements Artie.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Brian Barcelos

Artie, Big round of applause. These two images are just spectacular. I want to make a little speech here.

My wife had been into photography for a few years and I never gave it much thought other than the fact that her hobby was somewhat expensive.;) One day last March I believe, I picked up one of her photo mags (can't remember which as my youngest son destroys them all) and seen an image of a shore bird which I can't remember which it was either but I was amazed at how cool it looked. I decided to Google the photographer that took it and was blown away by the images I had just seen. Of course that was you Artie.

After that my wife basically forced me to buy myself a camera because I kept asking her to hand hers over. Now all I think of is going out to hopefully get that shot. I've actually been spending more time with my family going out and now we share a somewhat similar hobby, she doesn't really get into birds but other aspects of nature. Our bond has gotten stronger and I can actually blame you for that.:p

Hopefully I haven't bored you with all this writing but either way congrats and Thanks for indirectly getting me into this mess we call Birds as Art.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

10,000 posts - it's about time!:)
    Congratulations on your 10,000th post and honored images.

Glad to count you as partner, but friend first. (My other partners aren't so bad either;))

Froggie, Darth, DD, Dad, Grandpa, James

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on your huge milestone, and all the accolades bestowed on you. Thank you for a great site, and we appreciate your dedication. Take a bow.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations!

And thanks for sharing these superb images, and all your knowledge with us.

Hey, this post is a kind of virtual Gala, isn't it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, congrats on all counts. You have established the bar and you continue to challenge yourself and others as you constantly raise the bar of photographic excellence. It has been a pleasure to be a cyber student of yours, and I look forward to many years it that capacity in the future.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Ákos Lumnitzer

HUGE Congrats Artie! :) Both images are incredible. I must tell you the Herons are on the cover of my fave bird photography book!

Cheers
    Oshkosh

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Big congrats Artie.
    The image on my ABP book is not as as good looking as this one, but then this Web version of the image will not be manhandled and fingered so many times as my ABP book was either:D A huge thank you sir for sharing your experience in the many ways you do, be it with publications or here on BPN or for those lucky ones in the US, through tuition at an IPT.

Connie Mier

Congratulations for your many successes, you have brought bird photography to its highest level to date. Thank you for your comments and sharing your expertise.
    Connie

david cramer

Both images are winners on whatever stage you present them. I love the synchronicity of the behavior in the two shots. Congratulations!

The 10k mark is a sign of your generosity and dedication to this forum, your photography, and to our growth as photographers. We all benefit from that. A hearty thanks!

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A big congrats. You work hard and it shows. Can't think of anyone who deserves it more. Many years ago I borrowed that book from Tom Vezo before my first Florida trip. It became my bible. I never forgot that cover image.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images are stunning. Congratulations Artie!!!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Artie...the Gannet image is a stunner. I had entered both contests...of course not expecting to win anything and did not :-) Such photos show us how far we have to go.....thx a lot.

KD

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks so much for the great, often stern, guidance Artie.
    huge congrats - both images are killer but the gannets are very special...

here's to 10,000 more - good health - and even greater images :)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

15 years ago you gave me 20 mins of your time on the phone when you were trying to rush out the door to catch a flight. You didn't know who I was but gave anyway. 10K posts means your still giving. Very inspiring work ethic and a model of selflessness that we should all model.

Thank you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations, Artie--thanks for your contributions to us all--you are a continuing inspiration.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    thanks so much for the great, often stern, guidance Artie.
    huge congrats - both images are killer but the gannets are very special...

here's to 10,000 more - good health - and even greater images :)
    Stern? You want stern. Let me know and I will give you stern :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hehe okay let's not turn up the dial more than it is now...:eek::D

how does the term "lovingly-semi-stern-with-a-bit-of-spice" sound? ;)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Guruji, Late to this party, but better late then never :D.

big "Hug" from me for this mile stone and thanks for being such a great inspiration ( I really mean it). Keep them coming...

Regards,

Kiran.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    hehe okay let's not turn up the dial more than it is now...:eek::D how does the term "lovingly-semi-stern-with-a-bit-of-spice" sound? ;)

Will not. And that seems fine. Would you really want me to let you off the hook?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Heck its a long way down to this point Artie, :D:D. Sincere congratulations on your 10,000th and more for the work, help and inspiration you provide with your images and honest appraisals. (Wouldn't put too much store in the BBC thingy... reputation for poor taste, :D, and whilst I know its something we maybe should aspire to, they are seen in the UK as a tad biased). Congratulations...... :):)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey congrats! NB didn't even bother to contact me at all this year about any of my entries.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Will not. And that seems fine. Would you really want me to let you off the hook?
    never in a million years! :eek:
    just using the opportunity to muck around a bit with words ;)
    please don't let me or anyone who is eager to learn off the hook until we surpass the highest standards you set for yourself.

:)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again to all who posted. I have been overjoyed and humbled by your wonderful comments. And while it has been a labor of love, I have gotten a lot more than I have given. Heck, I can say the same thing about nature photography in general!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on the 10K and the prizes, Artie. Your GBH got me started on the bird photography when I had picked up ABP from a bookstore not too long ago. Regards.
    Last edited by Indranil Sircar; 10-28-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast