Thread: Never Give Up

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Never Give Up

Attached Images Attached Images

I recently entered this photo in the 2008 Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival and received first place. That said, I know every image can be improved in some respect. I was hoping the experts here can suggest ways that I can further enhance it. I am by no means a Photo shop guru and struggle to get a final product that compares to others I admire. I might add the printed version does display a wider dynamic range and with the whites not near as harsh as the compressed jpeg being posted.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Lance Warley

Talk about capturing the decisive moment, Mike! You could write a book about that frog's eye. Jonah and the whale...

The only suggestion I was going to make was about the whites, but you already mentioned it.

Gary Dumer

Love It Mike!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, Mike. Congrats on the well-deserved win. As I look at this, I might trim off the bottom to eliminate that messy water, and trim from the left to remove the part of the heron's wing that is now included. All the action is on the bird's eye and the frog, I don't think it would hurt to come in tighter. (I'm strictly amateur, so read my comments with that in mind.)
    How did it end??

JP Bruce

What a capture. Looks good to me. Only thought I had was rotation to get the lines in background horizontal. Of course that could give bird a bad angle so it's just a thought. Great timing. Love the frogs eye.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, that's great. Maybe a tighter crop, but I'm not sure. I say don't mes with success! Did the frog make it by chance?

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the details and the action!!!

Axel Hildebrandt

Great moment captured, as long as you are not a frog. :) I would crop a bit off the left so the wing is gone, apply some NR on the BG and there is a sharpening halo visible. To avoid this sharpen only the subject but not the BG. A lower angle would have helped to get a cleaner BG.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this image. I agree about cropping out the brown wing detail to put the eye on the frog and beak action. Congratulations on the win. Where did you make this wonderful image?

Jody Melanson

Congrats on the win! Here are my suggestions.

Jeffrey Hanna

I agree I would crop off the wing. Based on the water it looks like it could use some CW rotation. Great action shot!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jodys version is a humble improvement. Boy did you make out with this image. Hang it on the wall to look at every day. I can think of a lot of organizations that would benefit by seeing this hanging on the wall every day to look at first thing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much to all that offered their insights. I really respect the opinions of those whose work I admire. The exclusion of the wing was a point I have wrestled with. Will try to assimilate all your suggestions and sort them out.

This poor frog met his demise after probably a 2 minute struggle. I documented it from the hunt until the end. I have a few different photos from this series in which each can stand on their own, this is just the one I went with. At least the frog didn't give his life in vain.

Taken at Viera Wetlands, Fl.

Steve Wheeler

Amazing image! I like Jody's edit too.

Were you pulling for the frog or the bird!?

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely amazing. Love it very much.

hal bruce

A unique image. I'd love to see some of the others of the struggle.
    eland

Johnny Bravo

I love a frog with spirit!!

Terrific shot.