Thread: Pacific Gull Portrait

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Default Pacific Gull Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured on Canon 30D 300mm F4 IS + 1.4X con (420mm) 1/1000 sec, f/9, ISO-400, Pattern metering, Shutter Priority.

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...1&d=1202878320

Jeff Nadler

Chris-the bill and head are a bit softish. Why this forum-is this a captive bird? Let me know if I should move this to the other forum please.
    Last edited by Jeff Nadler; 02-13-2008 at 08:46 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chris
    It is soft. The shutter speed looks good so either this is a decent crop or else you may have needed more DOF. It is a beautiful bird who would make a beautiful portrait with the detail, a little more light and perhaps a less steep angle. I don't know how prevalent this gull is......but if he's accessible I'd be working I'd try for some more images......I like his looks.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Jeff, I was under the impression that if the bird was on a man made structure it was to be in this forum, this was on a coastal street light, and yes Lana the angle was a steep upward shot as you cab see by the attached photo.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chris
    If you can't see the "man made" structure then it you can post in the "Wild and Free" forum. You need to coax him down with a little bread!!

Christopher C.M. Cooke

[QUOTE
    Chris
    If you can't see the "man made" structure then it you can post in the "Wild and Free" forum. You need to coax him down with a little bread!!

I did not even have a chance to get off my motorcycle far less share my lunch with him :) but I will post some better photos soon, I try to get them soring but recently the wind here has been gale force so they perch rather than soar.