Thread: Vermilion Flycatcher Set-up

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Vermilion Flycatcher Set-up

Attached Images Attached Images

Vermilion Flycatcher

Texas Hill Country

D2Xs, 600, ISO 250, f8, 1/500, -0.3 EV, -2.0 flash.

I set this perch up in a large field in the territory of this Flycatcher.
    I left the perch there for a couple of days while I chased other species.
    When I went back to check on the bird, he was using the perch.
    I set up early the next morning under stormy skies and got a few shots off before the rain.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer. I am red with envy. The raised crest, the perfect pose and head angle, and those tiny purple flower clusters are too, too much. The spray of flowers and the stem on the frame-edge below the bird are mildly distracting. But if you remove them then the image might be too perfect....

BIRDS AS ART is proud to be offering a $10 pre-publication discount on Alan's upcoming CD book, Songbird Set-Up Photography. You can learn more here: http://www.birdsasart.com/bn301.htm. We have been experiencing record sales so far with more than more than 275 sold. We are letting folks know here for the very first time that we will limit the $10 discount to the first 500 sold....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the soft light, perch and BG. Great flash work. The flowers add so much. I might run a bit of NR on the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very beautiful Allen, love the colors, BG, SH. IT doesn't get better than thois, very elaborate setup.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

david cramer

A real beauty. One of the many reasons I'm on the list for the CD book. I'd prefer the bg a little less saturated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful colors. The pose is super.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That red color is just crazy. I must see and take a photo of this bird at some point.
    I like your choices of perches, very complicated but very natural looking too.
    Congratulations on the CD book, I'll get a copy too:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

awesome bird , great colors , killer BG and amazing perch
    TFS

Malcolm Benn

Man that image is a real eye opener in so many ways .. deep rich colouring and textures .. beautiful. I think that may just have convinced me to buy the CD. Correction, order placed no maybe about it.
    Last edited by Malcolm Benn; 10-21-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Dave Barnes

Superb IQ and great set up, it all just works so well.
    I would not wish for anything to change.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb color, pose and BG. With the raised crest and small purple flowers really taking this image to the top!
    Brilliant Alan!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

stunning :) A bird I have to get on my next visit in TX :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb one Alan, I am learning the trick slow and steady. can you help with some tips.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kiran, There are some tips on Alan's blog. All of his tips are available as follows:

Killer. I am red with envy. The raised crest, the perfect pose and head angle, and those tiny purple flower clusters are too, too much. The spray of flowers and the stem on the frame-edge below the bird are mildly distracting. But if you remove them then the image might be too perfect....

BIRDS AS ART is proud to be offering a $10 pre-publication discount on Alan's upcoming CD book, Songbird Set-Up Photography. You can learn more here: http://www.birdsasart.com/bn301.htm. We have been experiencing record sales so far with more than more than 296 sold. We are letting folks know here for the very first time that we will limit the $10 discount to the first 500 sold....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guruji.. its a great help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

You are welcome Kiran-bhai.

Is my repost too perfect?

Can anyone note any differences in the repost and the original post aside from the stems/flowers below the bird?

The stem and flowers were removed with the Patch Tool and one Quick Mask.

With respect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

you post has a little softer colours Guruji, Am i right ?? and the cloneing make it feel that there is some extra space at the bottom.

dont murder me now, just my thought :-)
    Last edited by Kiran Poonacha; 10-22-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: speeling correction

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I created the repost on the office computer that has not been calibrated recently. Me bad. It does look too light here. And it could use just a smidge off the bottom.

You lucky; I am not a gun carrying nature photographer. Did you see that thread???????????

Plus I am the non-violent type.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you guruji :-)

No I have not seen that thread, can you share the link.

thank you for all the support and encouragement guruji..

Regards,

Kiran

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image, lovely as presented but the repost works too. Artie I belive it looks a little brighter and you cleaned up in the base of the bill and in the perch were there were a few white spots.
    Nice as saod! Congratulaitons.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Love the original post. That is perfect for me. :)
    BTW, checked out your site for the first time Alan and I love the images. So much in fact, that I ordered a copy of the e-book via YOUR PayPal link. :) Can't wait to get educated by your expertise. :) Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon M. Casares View Post
    Great image, lovely as presented but the repost works too. Artie I belive it looks a little brighter and you cleaned up in the base of the bill and in the perch were there were a few white spots.
    Nice as saod! Congratulaitons.
    Good eye for the fine details Ramon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Poonacha View Post
    Thank you guruji :-)

No I have not seen that thread, can you share the link.

thank you for all the support and encouragement guruji..

Regards,

Kiran
    You are most welcome. Here is the link: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...907#post365907

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

GEEEEEZ!!!!!! Stop it! :cool::D

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

Your removal of the flowers by the main stem is a real improvement. I can't decide if I like the original, more saturated breast or your slightly lighter version better - I think the original. I like that the clump of leaves pointing at the bird are slightly OOF. Do you think a mild blur on all of the right hand leaves and flowers would help by pushing attention towards the bird?

thanks,
    Alan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lillich View Post
    Do you think a mild blur on all of the right hand leaves and flowers would help by pushing attention towards the bird? thanks, Alan
    Hi Alan, YAW. No, I love that the flowers and leaves on the right are sharp.