Thread: Nova Scotia Sanderling

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nova Scotia Sanderling

I created this image last August while in Nova Scotia. This bird was feeding along with a number of semi-palmated plovers, least sandpipers and the occasional juvenile piping plover.

Rebel XT, Sigma 50-500 Handheld, ExposureTime - 1/1250 seconds, FNumber - 8.00, ISO - 400. Fill flash and cropped to about 60% of full frame.

The BG is busy as there was a lot of washed up seaweed and eel grass but I like teh backlighting and I think that this one may have a good head angle. What do you think HAP?

Art Peslak

The bird is sharp but the background is too distracting for me. The exposure to a little too high key for me as well.

Jody Melanson

The angle is great, the pose is fine. The light looks a little harsh and some whites look blown. Environment doesn't bother me too much, not one for printing, but nice.

Glenn Ehmke

I love the washed up seaweed in this, tells me much more about the bird and it's habitat than a blank canvas, and the sand on the bill shown that it's just been having a forage.

Good job keeping the apature wide enough to get some of that detail and well done on getting down nice and low!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Art, Jody and Glenn. I did have a hard time dealing with the light (overcaste, sunny, overcaste etc.) that day. A for the angle, I had to dig sand out of my pockets the rest of the day.