Thread: Boat-tailed Grackle

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Boat-tailed Grackle

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a female Boat-tailed Grackle from last June at Disney World in Florida, in the morning sun. (I think Alfred will like it) I didn't see much of Disney except for two hotel rooms and a restaurant. But I did get a few pictures.
    Taken with a Nikon D200
    70 to 300 VR lens
    ISO 100
    F 6.3
    1/40s
    Aperture Priority
    0 EV
    Handheld
    Thank you for looking,
    Clive

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Clive nice one, a tad soft due to slow shutter.

I do not use ISO=100 to restrictive, in this case you needed more shutter which means either more ISO, open aperture, possible flash and/or move about and enhance your position.

Nice HA and clean eye, well done for HH, just remember to keep shutter fast. How does histogram look, remember to keep data shifted to the right. The two stops starting on the most right contain 75% of the image tonality, this one might be a tad underexposed - maybe not. Just check histogram and keep info to the right - thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Jeff Cashdollar; 10-18-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Lance Peters

Hi Clive - jeff has summed it up nicely, as a guideline best to try and keep your shutter speed to 1 over the focal length as a minimum - so at 300mm 1/300th. Once you get to know your equipment really well, you will have a feel for what the minimum shutter speed that you can get a sharp shot at is.
    You do have a good HA and eye contact.

TFS

Gus Cobos

Hi Clive,
    I like the capture and the position of the subject in frame. You have a good head angle and I like the turned head. I fully agree with the fine advise given...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you gentlemen.
    I do like to see my pictures a bit under exposed. This did seem to be a bit much.
    I reprocessed without setting the black point and adjusted the exposure while watching the histogram. The histogram is now centered.
    I am beginning to see why the rule of setting the shutter speed to 1 over the focal length exists. I tended to ignore it thinking that I was still getting good pictures.
    Take care,
    Clive

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your repost looks better, can now see detail under the tail. You have a good HA with clear eye, the pose is nice too, there seem to be a lot of feather details if the image is sharp. Good suggestion regarding the shutter speed. Motion blur can come from moving subject or unsteady hand, you can use tripod (which I still learning to use), brace against something, use your elbow for support if lying low (be careful if the equipment is heavy), or have your elbow into your gut and shoot on exhale (never try this one) to help with the latter.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job - looks better, remember to keep data in the first two stops, that's where the action is!

Alfred Forns

Hi Clive That is one good looking bird and as you know my favorite !!!! :)

Agree with advice and for a higher shutter speed, need to raise that ISO, noise beats blur !!! Exposure wise the neck is a little over but can clone some texture in the area. You need about perfect light for getting these gals to look their best and males are even more difficult !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Clive, I don't think I have even seen a female. Good HA and pose. Like your repost. Good advice from everyone. Keep up the good work.