Thread: Saker Falcon

John Harper

Default Saker Falcon

Hi There

Another shot in the MKIII focus fix series in brighter light conditions. This one of Saker Falcon "Drifter" during a low pass over the flying ground. This was towards the end of the day so the sun was quite low to the horizon and he was also pretty close to the camera..... and the grass !

John

EOS 1DMKIII
    EF 500 F4L
    ISO 800
    1/2500 @ F4

Alfred Forns

Beautiful setting John Very appealing and love the head angle Amazing dof for f4.0 Was this much of a crop? Quality looks good

That should be an easy situation for the AF to track Using one point on this one? Just learned there is another fix on the way starting in April Looks like it might be over one year before they sort out the problems Must be a record for a new camera

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    Another beautiful raptor.....and top view. You do so well given the speed of these "flying bullets", BGs, and light (or lack of). Again....nice detail and excellent eye contact. Well done.

Jeff Nadler

John, this capture is very appealing to me. The head turn makes it special.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Beautiful setting John Very appealing and love the head angle Amazing dof for f4.0 Was this much of a crop? Quality looks good

That should be an easy situation for the AF to track Using one point on this one? Just learned there is another fix on the way starting in April Looks like it might be over one year before they sort out the problems Must be a record for a new camera
    Hi Alfred

Yes i was just using the centre point only, as I tend to find its the most accurate if i can keep it on the bird!!. As regards the fix well we will just have to wait and see i suppose, I think Canon are concerned enough with photographers jumping ship (as i believe you did) to the Nikon D3 to do something about the perceived problems.

Prior to the D3 i don't think there was really a viable alternative to the 1 series of cameras, but Nikon have certainly shook things up and i don't believe Canon will sit on their laurels and let there market position be eroded by their great rival.

From my point of view i wanted a MKIII for its high |ISO performance as that is very useful in the UK where we are not blessed with as much sunshine as you Floridians. So for me it works fine as is, now if Canon say they can get it even better well thats great, but i can certainly live with it as is. Till the next one comes out in 12 months or so :p

John