Thread: Tucan- Costa Rica-

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tucan- Costa Rica-

Attached Images Attached Images

Artie was there. This was from a "recovery" location. A private farm where a dying man had collectd mostly macaws but had the tucan and a few others. They flew free in the jungle daytime and returned to the protected cages and roosts at night. This is not a zoo or contained location, so I do not know how to classify it. Perhaps Artie can comment on the facility.Anyway, this is better in full size than web size. from a 2004 trip
    D60
    100-400IS@135mm
    1/800 sec, f/3.2
    Metering: Multi-segment
    ISO: 200
    Flash: Off

Lance Warley

Beautiful pose and deatils, Steve.

I think it would benefit from brightening.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

I like this interesting, colorful bird and the composition you chose. I also like the head position. The food in the bill is a bonus.

The image does apear a bit dark and would likely benefit from some brightening and S/H tool. Both could be applied selectively to just the bird. There is also a noticible sharpening halo around the top of the bill and several other areas. If you select just the bird and then contract the selection a bit before applying USM, the halo can be avoided. Another option is to use a quick mask with a soft brush to select the areas for USM.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Beautiful bird and lovely portrait . I agree with Jim suggestions and would like to see it just a tad brighter. Thanks for sharing !

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird with amazing colours. Brightening already mentioned.

Jody Melanson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neiger View Post
    Hi Steve,

I like this interesting, colorful bird and the composition you chose. I also like the head position. The food in the bill is a bonus.

The image does apear a bit dark and would likely benefit from some brightening and S/H tool. Both could be applied selectively to just the bird. There is also a noticible sharpening halo around the top of the bill and several other areas. If you select just the bird and then contract the selection a bit before applying USM, the halo can be avoided. Another option is to use a quick mask with a soft brush to select the areas for USM.
    What Jim said! :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice image, what fantastic light you had!

Axel Hildebrandt

What a bill. I like the colors and details of it. I agree with Jim and would love to see this species sometime.