Thread: "Ground Effect"

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Ground Effect"

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure most of you have seen this one if you get around to the sites, but for those who haven't...

Mark III, 600 1/800 @f/4.5 iso 400

What hurt this shot a lot was the fact that I did not appreciate how far forward of his head his wings are compared to his head- which is what I was focusing on of course-when he's on a down stroke. Consequently, they went out of field of focus some, and I had to do some very tricky separate sharpening on the wings. If I were to shoot this again I probably would go to Iso 800 or more and get my f stop around 8. I know 11 would be best but the noise might then be pretty bad at an iso that would allow that. Maybe not with newer noise programs, but I try to avoid the after fixes if I can.

Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie--At least on my monitor--this image overwrote the rubber ducky shot. I can't even tell you how that happened. I thought to bring it to your attention so you could maybe fix it?

Paul
    Last edited by paul leverington; 10-11-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer pose and beutiful mood!!!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Picture perfect image IHMO. I love the snow flakes and low angle from the prey's point of view (I guess). :) What species is it?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos--This is the infamous Redtail Hawk--the eastern variety. Most common hawk breed in America, hearty of a species as you will find, and source of many a legend and story. To the American Indian he was referred to as the "Red Eagle".

Paul

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul,

This one is stunning. You must have used a hide and bait, right? Love the snow in the fore- and background.

edgar-junior

WOW amazing shot !!!:D

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Paul, Another gorgeous image! I love the image design and the snow.Well done. The Hawk's tail looks awesome!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lorant--If you read the posts under my other redtail shot at the lower end of this page titled landing on a dream, you'll find those questions answered, plus some methods to my madness.

Paul

Ákos Lumnitzer

Thank you Paul! :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As much as I love taking bird photos and viewing them very few elicit emotions in me, this one does. Wonderfully conceived and executed. Both the snow below and the background colors complement the hawk and are as influential to making this a strong image as the bird itself.

Have you given thought to removing the lone snowflake below his left eye ? I also think to fully take this close to perfection his left eye could use some work so as not to appear darker then the other. I realize I am viewing a compressed for web image so take that with a grain of salt if it looks differently on a large file.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An absolutely AMAZING image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Words fail me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post
    As much as I love taking bird photos and viewing them very few elicit emotions in me, this one does. Wonderfully conceived and executed. Both the snow below and the background colors complement the hawk and are as influential to making this a strong image as the bird itself.

Have you given thought to removing the lone snowflake below his left eye ? I also think to fully take this close to perfection his left eye could use some work so as not to appear darker then the other. I realize I am viewing a compressed for web image so take that with a grain of salt if it looks differently on a large file.

Mike I'm startin to look forward to your comments for the detail that you pick up on. I pondered both those nits actually. The snowflake was there--and well I figured this adds to the realism that he's in a snow fall. There should be some flakes in front of him right? -and -so there were. But it could go with out much fuss about it I suppose. The darker eye was actually darker cause there was a bit of directional light from the left(ours) and that is the reality of that one. However--who but a purest would know or think of this. Me maybe--but most I think would look at it and and prefer seeing both eyes clearly. Something for me to consider. I gotta tell you when I first started digital I did more to the image than I would ever do now--generally speaking. I think I like to leave things as much as possible as shot--but if it really makes a big power difference and the shot is worth it I may go that way. I made those changes you suggested to Landing on a dream--yes-- I like the shot better now. Thanks bro.

About your first statement Mike. I can't say it enough. Composition is the language of the subconscious. It doesn't hurt to have a great subject to work with either, but a great comp bypasses the cognitive and speaks to ones gut. I hope that I don't sound like I'm pontificating, but the stuff works--and works repeatedly. And reliably. Photograph compositions, not birds in a way of saying it.

Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

beautiful image with awesome pose and grand settings :):):)
    TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very evocative image with the atmosphere of the snow falling, the beautiful wings and tail and the intense look in the eyes. Perfectly balanced.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very carefully timed capture and a wonderful unique pose, snow and BG take this image to the top. TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect flying symmetry, and love the eye contact. Overall sharp, and I really like the falling snow. Great image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not too often do I see an image that I would like on my wall, and big!! But this is one.. killer shot Paul.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is absolutely amazing! As far is raptor flightshots go this is one of the best IMO. Love the snowflakes which make for a very dreamy setting, the symetry of the raptors powerful pose, and especially the faded out snow strip at the bottom make this so great! Perfection.........

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

spell bound, just tell me how you did this? can I also make such image?????

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Top drawer Paul. Plaudits already beyond my descriptive powers.... :):)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paul leverington View Post
    Mike I'm startin to look forward to your comments for the detail that you pick up on. I pondered both those nits actually. The snowflake was there--and well I figured this adds to the realism that he's in a snow fall. There should be some flakes in front of him right? -and -so there were. But it could go with out much fuss about it I suppose. The darker eye was actually darker cause there was a bit of directional light from the left(ours) and that is the reality of that one. However--who but a purest would know or think of this. Me maybe--but most I think would look at it and and prefer seeing both eyes clearly. Something for me to consider. I gotta tell you when I first started digital I did more to the image than I would ever do now--generally speaking. I think I like to leave things as much as possible as shot--but if it really makes a big power difference and the shot is worth it I may go that way. I made those changes you suggested to Landing on a dream--yes-- I like the shot better now. Thanks bro.

About your first statement Mike. I can't say it enough. Composition is the language of the subconscious. It doesn't hurt to have a great subject to work with either, but a great comp bypasses the cognitive and speaks to ones gut. I hope that I don't sound like I'm pontificating, but the stuff works--and works repeatedly. And reliably. Photograph compositions, not birds in a way of saying it.

Paul
    Thanks. I am not by any stretch a pixel peeper but look at compositions and attention to detail as well. I guess designing, installing and maintaining landscapes at 4 million dollar plus homes as I have for years instills in you a sense of not just looking at the focal point but how everything works together.

When I made the suggestions it was in doing so with the realization that you were probably already aware of the points given. In most of my critiques I will suggest that the poster only look at my observations. Realizing what a personal and subjective nature art is I will never say this or this must be altered. I take a minimalist approach to my editing and try to get it right at the time of capture but if not will keep it warts and all.

Looking forward to your future images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tracy View Post
    Thanks. I am not by any stretch a pixel peeper but look at compositions and attention to detail as well. I guess designing, installing and maintaining landscapes at 4 million dollar plus homes as I have for years instills in you a sense of not just looking at the focal point but how everything works together.

When I made the suggestions it was in doing so with the realization that you were probably already aware of the points given. In most of my critiques I will suggest that the poster only look at my observations. Realizing what a personal and subjective nature art is I will never say this or this must be altered. I take a minimalist approach to my editing and try to get it right at the time of capture but if not will keep it warts and all.

Looking forward to your future images.

Landscaping is all about visual composition and thats certainly going to help your photography Mike, I would have to believe. All those colors, transitions, groups, lines and on top of that as the year progresses the whole thing keeps changing! It's a lot of fun I bet--at least the dreaming part--not maybe the digging.

Worry not about your suggestions Mike, it's all good in the end--keep em coming--they're good for me.

Paul

Fabs Forns

I am very glad you are sharing your unique images with us, they sure are humbling :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Fabiola--I was pretty sure you had seen them before. I'm finding getting older to be a VERY humbling expirience now that you mentioned it.

Paul
    Last edited by paul leverington; 10-12-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by paul leverington View Post
    Hello Fabiola--I was pretty sure you had seen them before. I'm finding getting older to be a VERY humbling expirience now that you mentioned it.

Paul
    Shhhhhhh, we are just getting better :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

yeah....That's it!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The snow and snow flakes really take this image over the top. Very poweful and very dramatic image.