Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long-billed Dowitcher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Ask him about the Brit's eating me out of house and home when they stopped by my and Elaine's apartment in Howard Beach, NY on the way to JFK in the mid-eighties.
    Got to tell us the story:)

Julian Hough

I met Artie and Elaine when I was birding in Cape May in the late eighties/early nineties. Artie and Elaine were familiar faces and we soon became friends. Before we flew back to the UK out of Kennedy, Artie and Elaine would always offer to put us up and take us out to JBay in the morning. It was a great way to finish a trip and as Artie says, I was priveleged to meet Elaine, a wonderful woman who always kept Artie in "check" - and I mean that in the nicest way.

Artie, along with Kevin Karlson, fostered my interst in photography in my early years and I am proud to know him as a friend and I'm glad to see that he's accomplished a goal to enjoy doing what he loves doing (and well!) and shares his passion with others.

I hope my contributions can help give back something to him and others on the forum.

As for eating them out of house and home, I remember all the cupboards being locked and the beer was hidden!

Julian Hough

Bruce,

Your feathers look bang-on, except that I think the lowest row of green dots are still median coverts rather than lesser coverts.

J

Julian Hough

Ilija,

I did mean "sub-species" in my previous post, in the context of identification of juveniles to SUB-SPECIES (not "species" as I had written incorrectly) is difficult if not impossible.

Sorry for any confusion.

Best,

J

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian H View Post
    As for eating them out of house and home, I remember all the cupboards being locked and the beer was hidden!
    Well, I never drank beer but when the Brits were coming we always ran to Waldbaum's and got six pounds of chicken thighs!

BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian H View Post
    Ilija,

I did mean "sub-species" in my previous post, in the context of identification of juveniles to SUB-SPECIES (not "species" as I had written incorrectly) is difficult if not impossible.

Sorry for any confusion.

Best,

J
    No problem, it was quite obvious what you wanted to say.
    Thanks for the answer.
    The reason I asked is that the bird #9 looks much darker than a typical eastern/atlantic juv.
    There are no markings in the interior of the scapulars, typical for juvs. of the eastern race.
    I've never seen SB Dowitchers on the west coast, but I read in several places that western race juvs.
    look darker. The bird on #9 looks so dark that it fooled me into thinking it is an adult :o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12