Julie Kenward

Default How I Hold On

Attached Images Attached Images

When the winds of life get turbulent
    And I'm apt to get tossed and blown
    I now know its better
    To go with the flow -
    Letting go is now how I hold on.
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 09-30-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Lance Warley

Very self-perceptive, Jules. Good one.

I love the meter in the first two lines. I tried to come up with something to keep the same meter in the last three lines without changing your idea, but I couldn't do it.

Maybe someone else can give it a shot?

And the photo is way cool, with those gentle cloud patterns and half-moon. Great texture and feel.

Julie Kenward

Lance, read it like a limirick - (in other words, read the two middle lines as one long line) - I think you'll find it flows better that way.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Julie, I tripped a bit also but the words are well written and powerful. I enjoyed it alot.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jules,
    I read it first and felt like the others but then I read your comments and that fit better.....keeping that in mind....how do you feel with moving one word;

When the winds of life get turbulent

I'm apt to get tossed and blown

I now know its better
    To go with the flow -

And letting go is now how I hold on.

Very powerful words and the image goes with it nicely. I won't reveal the dirty limerick I used to move the and :eek:......but let me know your thoughts.

Julie Kenward

Roman, I think that is an excellent idea. I don't personally KNOW any dirty limiricks (and if you believe that one I have some swamp land to sell ya...) but I did get that same limirick cadence in my head when I was working on this so I just went with it. I think "and" is the perfect compromise.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Well written Julie. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice peom Julie. Roman's alteration rounds it out nicely. The words and meaning of the poem reminded of something given to me years ago. I went and dug it out so I can share it with you.

"When there is a storm approaching, an eagle will fly to a high crag and wait for the winds to come. When the tumult hits, the eagle will spread its wings so that the wind will lift it above the storm. While the storm explodes below, the eagle is gliding above it. The eagle does not escape the turbulence. It rises on the very winds that bring the storm. It is elevated on what would tear is asunder."

Eric
    Faces of Nature Photography
    www.ericjvirkler.com

Julie Kenward

I heard that once a long time ago, Eric...thanks for the reminder. It sure does fit with my new philosophy on troubled times!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jules, I like the dreamy elegant simplicity of the image. I got the limerick tempo the first time I read it. Very nicely done.

Julie Kenward

Thank you, John. I had almost forgotten about this one...it was nice to revisit it again.

david cramer

I missed it the first time around, so I'm grateful to John, and Julie. Beautifully written and befits the image.