Thread: Let's Talk Sharpening for Avian

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Let's Talk Sharpening for Avian

Currently, I process my Nikon files in Capture NX and change the RAW sharpening to NONE and then apply 55,5,4 up to ISO 400 and then the 5 steps up to as high as 8 as the ISO increases.

In CS#, once resized and everything else is done, I've been using either smart sharpen or at times, the Lone Star Digital plugin with a Quick Mask for selective area sharpening.

I used to use Photo kit sharpener but I've fallen out of love with it the past few months.

What do you folks use?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim. My files go into ACR for conversion. Minimal sharpening at conversion. Then old fashioned USM, usually at 300%, 0.3 -0.6 and 4, usually subject only, masking bg. For web posting, no sharpening till image is resized, then various settings such as 100, 0.3 & 4 with three or four sweeps. Again, masking out bg and contracting by 1px. Dave
    Last edited by David Fletcher; 01-02-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Alfred Forns

HI Jim,

What happen with Photo Kit ?

Have you tried sharpening in LAB b&W channel !!!!

Fabs Forns

I like to process in ACR.
    Wish I could use Capture NX, but my Mac refuses to recognize the last update, so I can't use it for D3 nor D300 :(

I love PhotKit and sometime do a capture sharpening if the bg is not too busy.
    Use the convenient sharpening or blurring brushes for selective work.

After resizing for web, depending of my background, I have 3 routes.

Busy background, duplicate the layer, go Smart sharpen, from 85 to 99, 0.2 to 04 and erase the effect where i don't want it.
    Usually I don't have to repeat.
    If the background is OK, use Photokit Output for web, and I'm fine. If it looks too crispy, I reduce the opacity.
    If the bird is in a uniform sky, I magic wand select the sky, inverse the selection, contract by one pixel, then sharpen. No halo possibility there.

I do not like over sharpened high contrast images, so I will always err on the soft side rather than the frozen look.

Good thread, btw, thanks for getting it started.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Al.....

Not sure with Photokit.

It appeared to my eyes that after CS (beginning with CS2), the output became much coarser and didn't give me the great look it used to. I've even noted it in my printing output.

Course....it could be my eyes as well :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Contract by 1 Pixel"

See...I learned something important starting this thread.....I didn't know that you could contract by one pixel :)

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post
    See...I learned something important starting this thread.....I didn't know that you could contract by one pixel :)
    Old technique I learned form the late Sandy Mossberg.
    Still valid!

glad you liked it :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use 1 px setting with high pass in NX selectively as my last step, using a new step. I find just that bit around the eyes or the main subject works great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hiya Nancy :)

Nice to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by flygirl1 View Post
    I use 1 px setting with high pass in NX selectively as my last step, using a new step. I find just that bit around the eyes or the main subject works great.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post
    Nice to see you here!

Robert Amoruso

Fabiola did a good workflow description and this is basically what I do. For a low-res 92 ppi JPG for posting with the BIF in sky image, I will always select the sky, do an inverse selection, contract the selection 1 px and using the new "Refine Edge" effect in PSCS3, soften it 1px.

For high res 360 ppi, I will contract 10 to 20 px, sharpen and redo with more contraction if I get halos.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great thread. I am learning so much in this new site. I am amazed at how many people are on already. Can you reduce by 1 pix in CS2? How is that done?

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Scalzo View Post
    What a great thread. I am learning so much in this new site. I am amazed at how many people are on already. Can you reduce by 1 pix in CS2? How is that done?
    Select>Modify>Contract, then fill the box :)

Glad you fill at home, Ted!

Maxis Gamez

I use Smart Sharpening. For web display I set it at 500, 0.2 and do it once or twice if need it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am bleary eyed and may be missing something but do understand that except for small amounts of selectgive sharpening YOU SHOULD NEVER SHARPEN YOUR OTIMIZED MASTER FILE until it is duplicated and sized for a given usage... We see lots of folks sharpening their master files who can't figure out why their J-PEGs (of various sizes) look like crap...

lal, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Maxis Gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I am bleary eyed and may be missing something but do understand that except for small amounts of selectgive sharpening YOU SHOULD NEVER SHARPEN YOUR OTIMIZED MASTER FILE until it is duplicated and sized for a given usage... We see lots of folks sharpening their master files who can't figure out why their J-PEGs (of various sizes) look like crap...

lal, artie
    I don't touch my master files at all. I grab one, do all the processing and leave the master alone!

Emil Martinec

I used to use the PK Sharpener scripts, but started getting better results using Smart Sharpen for both capture sharpening and final stage sharpening for web output. Smart sharpen is really good at suppressing halos if you use the advanced settings (using the highlight tab, turn up the fade amount and the tonal width to control hard edges, with the radius set to 2 or 3); it is also more accurate than plain old USM, as it is more than simple edge contrast enhancement (from what I have heard, the advanced setting uses a form of image deconvolution, which is a mathematical method of trying to reverse engineer the in-focus source from the OOF image).

I have also been experimenting with the sharpening tab in ACR with some success; seems to recover a tad more detail than Smart Sharpen for capture sharpening.

In either case, I do sharpening on a duplicated layer. For Smart Sharpen, I duplicate the BG layer, sharpen that and then mask off the parts I don't want sharpened such as the BG. For ACR sharpening, I open the image as a Smart Object with sharpening set to zero, then duplicate the Smart Object (as a new smart object), double click the duped object; this puts you back in ACR, where you can adjust the sharpen tab for your subject, click OK, and you are back in CS3 where you can mask off the parts you don't want sharpened. Beware though that if you don't duplicate the base layer as a new smart object then whatever modifications you do to the duped layer propagate to the base layer (for instance this happens if you dupe using ctl-J keyboard shortcut; instead you should dupe by right-clicking the layers palette and choosing "New smart object via copy").

For web output sharpening, I have found nothing that beats Smart Sharpen, again using the advanced tabs to control halos by fading the highlight and shadow effects of the filter.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

lal, artie

LOL. Ditto Artie and Maxis. (assumed it was taken for granted that master is left unsharpened). Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?t=655

This other thread that got started by one of my pics might interest some folks. It is on another way of sharpening that I just learned about.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Please help me understand the concept of NOT sharpening the Master. My workflow generally follows as such if I am post processing exclusively in Nikon Capture NX:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    • Open RAW NEF in Capture NX
    • Adjust in camera settings if necessary.
    • Apply D-Lighting
    • Color balance/correct using LCH
    • Apply Capture Sharpening (50/5/4) as a general rule of thumb.
    • Crop the image to suit.
    • Save as a NEF with an a appended to the original file name to save edit steps applied to image.
    • Depending on what the image is being output to I resize the image appropriately.
    • Finally I will apply “output” sharpening using the USM (5/15/4 is being projected 1024x768 for example).
    • The image is finally save in the output format i.e. jpg or .tiff.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Is it being suggested that the original sharpening in Capture NX not be done? Please bear with what may be a silly question as I am in a steep learning curve phase with digital prost processing.
    Thanks
    Dave Lindey
    Niagara-Canada

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharpening

Please help me understand the concept of NOT sharpening the Master. My workflow generally follows as such if I am post processing exclusively in Nikon Capture NX:
    ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
    • Open RAW NEF in Capture NX
    • Adjust in camera settings if necessary.
    • Apply D-Lighting
    • Color balance/correct using LCH
    • Apply Capture Sharpening (50/5/4) as a general rule of thumb.
    • Crop the image to suit.
    • Save as a NEF with an a appended to the original file name to save edit steps applied to image.
    • Depending on what the image is being output to I resize the image appropriately.
    • Finally I will apply “output” sharpening using the USM (5/15/4 is being projected 1024x768 for example).
    • The image is finally save in the output format i.e. jpg or .tiff.
    <O:p></O:p>
    Is it being suggested that the original sharpening in Capture NX not be done? Please bear with what may be a silly question as I am in a steep learning curve phase with digital prost processing.
    Thanks
    Dave Lindey
    Niagara-Canada

c.w. moynihan

lal, artie

That's what I do. I save my processed master as tiff including layers, processed to the point where I have quicked masked the area for selection I want to sharpen. Then at a later time, when I need to resize and sharpen for web output or sharpen for print output, it takes little time with no unexpected results or need to re-process.

Harold Stiver

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Old technique I learned form the late Sandy Mossberg.
    Still valid!

glad you liked it :)
    Another technique Sandy used to share on his website is one I often use on a subject with a clear background.(For websize images)

Same selection technique as Fabs mentioned, then

USM (100, 0.2, 0) done from 1-7 times. Set it up as an action. Oversharpened? Just erase one or more steps.

A quick and easy method that is often all that is needed. Thanks Sandy!

JH Tugs

Another method - not sure if this is considered "proper", but it works - is to use high-pass filter.

In photoshop:

- Take your image as BG layer
    - Duplicate the BG layer
    - Change the new layer mode to Overlay (it'll look silly for the moment, but bear with it)
    - With the new layer selected, go to FIlter -> Other -> High-Pass
    - Pixel value of between 1-5 is usually enough (depends somewhat on the size of the image). Click OK.
    - Use opacity of the new layer to dial the effect in and out. I also find it useful to toggle the new layer's visibility on and off as I work to make sure I remember what I was working from and how it looks now...
    - You can also play with changing the layer mode for the new layer to one of the other settings in the Overlay group (soft light, hard light, etc.) - see how it alters the effect of your high-pass layer.

It's not for all images, but it can be pretty effective at times.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

there's a good summary on sharpening at:
    http://www.steve-perks.com/gfx/tpfsharpening/

what's really useful is the downloadable action that does Lab Mode Edge sharpening which is similar to technique in Bruce Fraser's book on sharpening - -you can often use it to minimize unwanted sharpening of the BG without resorting to masking

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great reading guys! Since I use CS3 and pull all my images in through ACR, I will give Emils description a shot first and see how it goes. :)