Lens EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    Focal Length 125.0 mm
    Shooting Date/Time Late afternoon
    Shutter Speed 1/160Sec.
    Aperture F3.5
    Metering Modes Evaluative metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 200

This redtail was in a tree in front of me with the sun at its back when it so kindly flew to within 15 feet of me as the sun was setting. I was able to take a few photographs before the sun set and the bird grew tired of staring at me and took to the air.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated

Jason

Gautam Biswas

This is a nice image of the bird. Th eyes are sharp and with a catchlight. The warm light gives the impression of the dusk. What I wonder is on the composition, I think it is too much to the left of the frame. A vertical crop might have been better but the snow in the BG would look odd unless you clone it off.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose Jason. This is an image that would benefit from a little more sharpening, particularly the eye. You could consider using a higher ISO with your 5D; that would let you use a smaller aperture, faster shutter speed, or both. That might help with the sharpness.

Maxis Gamez

Hi Jason,

The composition works for me, but the snow is a huge distraction. I would also add more sharpening to the image.

Jason Ambler

Attached Images Attached Images

Gautam, Doug and Maxis,

Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated. I agree that the image could be sharper but I think I may be at the edge of my ability to sharpen since when I try and increase it any more it shows noise in the image. The initial image was not as sharp as I would have liked because 1) I was handholding the lens 2) I had it on AI SERVO since I thought he was going to fly toward me not land in front of me. I know I have to learn to use the buttons on the camera like it was second nature (I'm working on it).

I have tried some of the suggestions (I'm not trying to save the image as I know technically it is lacking but I am trying to learn just the same). In the new image...Removed snow, changed composition and a little more sharpening. Better or worse?

Thanks for looking again,

Jason

Anita Rakestraw

Looks better to me with the modifications. I would be thrilled to have taken this! I'd definitely keep it until I got a better one!

Axel Hildebrandt

Attached Images Attached Images

The repost is much improved. Just another round of sharpening. Maybe like this:

Jason Ambler

Thank you Anita for your kind comment and Axel for your suggestion to sharpen further.

Jason