Thread: JFK #2/Predatory Gull #3 (???) <smile>

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default JFK #2/Predatory Gull #3 (???) <smile>

Attached Images Attached Images

This adult Great Black-backed Gull was ripping apart a young skimmer that it dispatched at the western end of the Nickerson colony. For two more images of the carnage see my post in Avian ID, Nomenclature, and Behavior here: http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...ad.php?t=44455 Seen any good predatory gull behavior? Add it to the list at the thread above.

This image was created with the tripod-mounted 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/1250 sec. at f/6.3.

Don't be shy. All comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very interesting capture Artie, the most pure and wild side of nature. The shooting angle is fantastic and I like the eye of the gull concentrated in the corpse of the skimmer.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shooting angle,bg,timing!

Gal Shon

Superb quality and a very interesting Behavior image.
    I like the angle, beautiful BG and FG and light.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Artie,
    I think I have them eating everything else but! Love the action......promised to stay away from the crop tool just for you this afternoon.....so I won't say it:D!
    Really cool!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie

One of my favoutire gulls and they are very impressive birds but also usually difficult to approach. I like the low angle and combination of complimentary colours here and savenging action you have captured. They are very predatory I have seen them hunting live teal and moorhen on a local wetland in the winter. When one is on the wing over the reserve the birds react to it like as if peregrine was about and with good reason.

Cheers

Rich

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, I have never witnessed this and I hope I never see this for myself. I know it is a natural part of nature but it is very difficult to see. I think this behavior is very interesting and I think your capture of this behavior is very well done. The angle gives the viewer a perfect view.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    Agree with Denise - very difficult to witness this behaviour though I know that even a gull must eat...
    Have been processing my 'carnage pix' today also... love the low angle.
    Best,
    Nicki

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

At times nature can appear cruel. I'm sure if the Black Skimmer had asked to have its death recorded, you couldn't have done a better job. Excellent composition , low angle and technically perfect(as expected)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super exposure and excellent detail and colours. I like the low angle captured and thanks for sharing this behaviour
    Chris Kotze

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guruji
    Super shot with great expo, compo , BG and sharpness, amazing action here
    I must say , I have never seen like this before , we have lot many Gulls visiting in winters near local dam backwaters and they always feed on fish
    Thanks for showing this master-capture to all of us:)
    IMHO this image is a great wildlife document
    TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for commenting.

Cruel is a choice. I have zero problem with the gulls killing and eating the young skimmers. In fact, I am always rooting for the predators!

Harshad-bhai, you are too kind.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very interesting behaviour Artie! once again pin sharp and the ground-level angle makes this one work wonders for me. at first glance the horizon seemed slightly skew but then I saw the ground in front was level :)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is the way of things.... Nice capture. It was nice seeing you on the Island in some warm weather :)

Lou