Thread: JFK #1

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default JFK #1

Attached Images Attached Images

After I left Panama I flew to Orlando and continued that same day to NYC where I met three nice ladies, all repeat customers, for the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge IPT. (All three were IPT veterans and one was BPN's very own Nicki Gywnn-Jones.) JBWR was pretty poor so we spent a lot of time at Nickerson before the tidal flooding. This image was made on the first Monday morning after the flooding. It was fun. I had to wade through about 300 yards of water that came just to the bottom of my pants pockets.

This image was created with the handheld Canon 400mm f/4L DO lens and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops off the low blue sky: 1/800 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode. 45-point AF.

I sat on the wet sand to eliminate potential merges between the landing birds and the line of the beach.

This one needed big time rotation and the removal of a post from the frame.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doesn't get much better. Great wing position, HA, light, exposure, and sharpness. Great prey item too. Would love to go there someday.

P.S. The NANPA thing is completely finished.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Aidan. Nickerson Beach is a killer-good spot but I am worried about the colonies there for next year as half of the colony was covered with more than 2 feet of new sand in the storm and lots of vegetated areas were destroyed. I hope that most of that stuff grows back next spring.... The birds need the vegeatation for places to hide and for shade.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like to see detail in the black eye coming from the black head. Great detail in the feathers under the wing.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the light, wing position and the fish adds to it. Let's hope they will return next year, it's great to have them within driving distance.

Glenda Simmons

Amazing! To see the black eye on that black head, so clearly. The fish was a nice added bonus.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guruji
    This is fantastic shot ,great expo , compo and fish
    IMHO that sand patch in bottom adding so much
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I don't think I have seen many images of skimmers in fight with a fish. Nice pose, like the BG mixed with the sand and sky and the beautiful light. Eye is very nicely visible and the detail is good all over. Congratulations.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see this with a catch guru.. loved the light, the two tone Bg looks good, great eye contact and good wing pose too.. congrats..

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

great shot Arthur, the pose and the composition are superb.

I saw black skimmers for the first time when i visited Jetty Park in Florida back in March.

best wishes

Colin.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the two tones of the bg and the beautiful eye contact!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very lovely - happy memories...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent exposure Artie, and I like the flying posture. Good idea to get down so as not to merge any birds with the beach. Did I say this was sharp, and the fish a bonus. Well captured.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is lovely Arthur. Tack sharp, good light quality, interesting bg and dinner a bonus. Way to go.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the interesting flight perspective with the birdheading your way, along with the head position, fish and glowing red. Spot-on exposure too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the original capture. I remember pressing the shutter button immediately after the bird cleared the signpost knowing that a Quick Mask or two (and some big time image rotation!) would save the day. With film I would never have pressed the shutter button.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guruji
    Amazing post processing skills :):)