Thread: Superfly!

Roman Kurywczak

Default Superfly!

Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry Jules......couldn't resist......with all the nice flowers......couldn't resist a bug! While in Longwood photographing the orchids.....this fly landed on one......got off 1 shot at MFD....B4 he flew off. As you know me.....I wish I was able to get a tube on...more DOF....etc......to get even closer (this is a slight crop).......but the sharpness is probably better because I was a bit further away!
    Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro and the MT24 twin lights at -2/3 and 1/80 sec. at f29 and ISO 400.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture. Maybe a touch of cropping off the bottom, just above the darker triangle right of center at lower frame -- or just clone it, since the three shades of purple in the LL are good.

I can see this as a greeting card... or maybe not. At least it's a pretty fly.

Just send over one of your superspiders to take care of it, and Jules should be okay!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Roman, I agree w/ Bruce this is a nice capture! Tack sharp. The lavender flower goes nicely w/ flies colors. Very nicely presented.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In addition to the soft colors and sharp detail, I like the angled pose of the fly, which adds interest to the comp IMO.

Ed Vatza

Very nice... for a bug!;)

I like the sharpness of the fly and the edge of that front petal. Works together really well. I see you were back stopped down to f/29. Could stand the rarified air of f/18 for long, could you? :D

Julie Kenward

Flies good...spiders eating flies bad!!!

Beautiful image, Roman. Me? I'd crop it closer (I know...closer than Roman cropped it already? Am I insane?) I agree with Bruce - I'd whack off part of the bottom. That face is too good not to get it RIGHT THERE in the viewer's face.

The purple flower really adds a beautiful touch to this and I just added the twin lights to my Amazon wish list. Geez, I'm going to have to sell my car to get everything on that wish list.

Anybody have a sugar daddy they want to loan me?