Thread: Purity II

Hybrid View

Ramesh Adkoli

Default Purity II

Here is another Geranium in pure white splendor. Earlier post is here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=42888 . Appreciate your views and comments.

EXIF: D700, 105mm Micro VR, 1/30s, f/18, -0.3EV, ISO 200, tripod mount, available light
    PP: cloned out the small parts of another flower on the back, levels, selective curves, selective color.

regards,
    ramesh

Julie Kenward

Ramesh, I think this is a big improvement over the first one. You've managed to eliminate the distractions in the BG and really bring the flower up as the central focal point. I like that you have the plant on a bit of a lean towards the left - I think if you had turned the camera a little more you could have managed to squeeze in the partial bud that got cut off on the right side also - making for an even stronger composition.

Lovely lighting on this - the greens almost glow and the whites are spot on. Nice exposure!

Ramesh Adkoli

Thanks a lot for those positive comments, Julie. I really appreciate your taking time to review this. About that bud - in fact, there were many others on RHS. Including one more would cut off another;-(. So i had to focus on getting the flower correctly.

Regards,
    ramesh

Mike Moats

Hey Ramesh, I understand your reason on the bud, I've had this same problem. If you're not a purist you might consider pinching of some of the buds to help the comp, I've done this a few times, but understand if you would rather not do this. Like the nice lighting and good job on the white. Good sharp details.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good sharpness and I love the subtle tones in the whites, Ramesh. I understand your compositional challenge with additional buds on the right, but, for me, the one clipped bud detracts from an otherwise excellent image. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ramesh, I would have nipped the bud before taking the image. I think the lighting and the details are terrific!

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail in the flower is amazing as is the exposure. Aside from the clipped bud , this is outstanding. In fact , I don't mind the clipped bud at all.

Ramesh Adkoli

Thanks a lot, Mike, Steve, Denise, and Joe for your views. No, Denise, I wouldn't nip the bud and would try to workaround or live with such aspects that are inherent part of the subject. Just like nature, i would accept that a photograph would have its imperfections too. Otherwise, the image would look too made up, IMHO.

regards,
    ramesh

Kyle Marie Barcelos

Very nice, I love the comp, and the flower is very sharp IMO, and i love the buds as well, as you said it shows the true nature of the picture, excellent job :):D

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ramesh, I respect your point regarding the bud. I was just stating what I would have done. However IMHO I do feel if you are going to present the best possible image-the bud should be completely included or excluded and not cut in half off the frame.