Thread: Wild Blue

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Blue

Attached Images Attached Images

These are still growing wild at a local pond. I have yet been able to ID the species. Any help would be great. The flower is about the size of an average pinky fingernail.
    400Iso f11 at 1/320th
    Flash at minus 2 stops

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Joe,
    I posted one of these on the 4th and Bob Malbon gave me this definition;

"It's in the genus Commelina, a monocot in its own family, the Commelinaceae. A common name for at least one of its species is Asiatic Blue flower, native to Asia. One such species is Commelina benghalensis. Here in southern California, it's a garden escape and aggressive weed, even invading moist wildlands mostly near urban areas"

Love the spotlit effect on this one.....just wish for a bit of bounce back on the leaf side....as I'm a fan of tight crops.....for my tastes a bit off the left and bottom would only further highlight this pain in the *ss bloom....but it is beautiful!

Ed Vatza

And according to my "Wildflowers of Pennsylvania", our variety is Commelina communis aka Asiatic Dayflower. Each bloom lasts only one day. Beautiful image. I was going to post one I made this morning but I think I'll wait! :D

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to both of you. Now i know what it is. Never figured it for a weed. I thought it was a beautiful flower and still do.

Julie Kenward

Looks pretty beautiful to me! You did a very nice job of this - I love the sideview and the overall comp. I also agree with Roman - since you're showing the side of the plant a little more light to embellish it would also be nice. It's very dramatic and lovely as is but another bit right behind the green part of the flower would be a nice touch as well.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the three colors and the black BG. Agree with others on adding some light to the plant would be nice. Really like the composition.