Thread: Idiots at the Grand Canyon

Michael Pancier

Idiots at the Grand Canyon

One of the greatest natural wonders of the world, yet folks who come to visit are such complete idiots sometimes. Of all the deaths there each year (people falling off the canyon), the majority of them are folks like these taking stupid snapshots.

This was taken on the Bright Angel Trail. As you can see from the image below, the area where these folks were in is off limits....it's dangerous and there's a drop over 3000 feet. You fall, you're done; game over. So here I am with hiking boots; backpack; supplies etc. for my simple 1.25 mile into the canyon, and I stare at these people with sandals hanging out on the area that the Park Service warns you to stay away from, taking pictures with a little P&S so they can show their yenta friends back home. This woman thinks she's Angelina Jolie or something.....I'm still banging my head when I see this shot. It still makes for fun photography to see the idiocy of others. Enjoy ....
    Last edited by Michael Pancier; 08-11-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Michael Pancier

Here's the sign they failed to heed notice of.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Michael,
    People falling off the cliffs at the Grand Canyon is called "Natural Selection"......if you want to be that stupid for a snapshot......you deserve it! I wonder if they are thinking about that on the long trip down?!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Firstly, she's too ugly to be Angelina Jolie, and if she fell, well, someone would miss her, but your parks board would have covered themselves with the well placed notice.

Here in SA, we have idiots who get out of their cars in the game reserves to take close up pics of elephants. Now thats a death wish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Michael, Some people think the rules don't apply to them. Alot of money is spent rescuing and recovering idiots like this every year.

Rene A

To me those 2 look like foreigners from the other side of the Atlantic. With the strong Euro and the weak $ almost everybody can afford to come there. Lot of them can't read and write English. These two look like that:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman unfortunately at their age the stupid gene has probably afflicted another generation....

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Renate Arzonetti View Post
    To me those 2 look like foreigners from the other side of the Atlantic. With the strong Euro and the weak $ almost everybody can afford to come there. Lot of them can't read and write English. These two look like that:)
    the sign is clear in any language. It has a picture of someone falling off the cliff ....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What I'm trying to figure out is . . . if the second picture is the sign they had to walk past to get to where they are, you would have to be shooting from their left to be in "safe" territory. In order for you to be shooting from their right in the first picture . . . OH heck, I'm all confused now :D

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Poor View Post
    What I'm trying to figure out is . . . if the second picture is the sign they had to walk past to get to where they are, you would have to be shooting from their left to be in "safe" territory. In order for you to be shooting from their right in the first picture . . . OH heck, I'm all confused now :D
    that sign is on the other side of that same overlook. I guess these guys were experienced portrait photographers who correctly decided to shoot from the shaded side of the rock.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah, that 'splains it :D

Alfred Forns

... gald to hear Mike or ... they showed up at the wrong time !!! Amazing people !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i ditto roman's reply!!!!

Gus Cobos

I just hope that they have wings...3,000 foot drop...:eek::D amazing, and then you read about them in the local paper.:cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Hey Michael,
    People falling off the cliffs at the Grand Canyon is called "Natural Selection"......if you want to be that stupid for a snapshot......you deserve it! I wonder if they are thinking about that on the long trip down?!

All I can say is......no brain....no pain on the long trip down!!

Rich Ikerd

Ya gotta love the idiocy of some people. Bad thing is if something did happen to them, there would be the cry to close the trail because it is unsafe.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fully agree those folks are a few plates shy of a picnic. The NPS by the same token is none to smart either. They should know they quickest way to get foolish people to try something is to make it enticing. Their inclusion of "overlook" on the sign is merely inviting those for another look as oppossed to just having a simple entry forbidden / fine accompanies getting caught message.

Julie Kenward

I actually have a close friend who personally knew someone who fell off the side of the GC. And, yes, a camera was involved...

I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Roman nailed it to a Tee. Another pair for the Darwin Awards.

We just had some total numbskull Pommie (Briton) who just went for a walk in our Blue Mountains and they practically gave up on him after about a week of coordinated chopper and foot search when he turned up. What an idiot!!!!! And he WAS on a trail!!!! They should sue these people to pay back all the monies that governments spend trying to find their dumb ***es!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeesh. That's pretty clueless

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like to think of it as a cleanup of the shallow end of the gene pool. :D The national parks seem to be a magnet for idiots from all over the world. People are injured and killed every year in Yellowstone when they decide it would be cool to get a snapshot of junior or dad sitting on the "buffalo". They're just like the animals at Disneyland, aren't they? ;)
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Perkins View Post
    They're just like the animals at Disneyland, aren't they? ;)
    I always knew that WAS true. I read it in some newspaper a long time ago. :D (couldn't help myself) :eek:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

People here in India try this at 10000 ft + in Himalayas :D
    We are lucky as we dont have to spend on search or rescue , which is impossible at those heights :)

Philip Pietri

You mean that's not Angelina Jolie? Sure fooled me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did the hole in the rock above her head come from her head to begin with? This kind of thing gives us all a bad name!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with most of the other suggestions but perhaps the problem is that these people needed +4 compensation on life.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I guarantee that could have(and probably did) become an even more disturbing image.
    Did you notice any tans lines:confused:?