Thread: Spearfish Canyon Waterfall

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spearfish Canyon Waterfall

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the many waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon, in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

1D MkII, 24-70, 3.2 sec, f/20, ISO 100, 5 vertical images, manually stitched in Photoshop

Jason

Robert Amoruso

This is working well for me Jason. The shutter speed is just right for that silky smooth look to the flowing water.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Robert, but I do think that the right edge is just a little too close to the fallen limb. On screen, it just needs about one millimeter more :) The colors would benefit from a slight boost, but it's refreshing to see an image that hasn't had much in the way of saturation!

On a technical note, you might consider purchasing a 3-stop or 6-stop neutral density filter so that you don't have to close down to f/20 in the future.

Cheers,
    David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful image Jason. Only minor nits not worth mentioning....

Rich Ikerd

Beautiful image Jason. Love the low angle and the perspective of the river receding back to the falls - great 3D effect.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is gorgeous, I like it as it is. The water flow makes me want to jump right in to it![/quote]

Thanks! You might hesitate to jump in when you find out the water was about 38 degrees, cold day to be in the river :)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
    On a technical note, you might consider purchasing a 3-stop or 6-stop neutral density filter so that you don't have to close down to f/20 in the future.
    Hi David,
    For the uninitiated (me!) - what would be the benefit of using the ND filter over the f/20 apperture? Would that not mean a shallower depth of field and less clarity on the falls in the background?

Thanks
    Gerald

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelberg View Post
    Hi David,
    For the uninitiated (me!) - what would be the benefit of using the ND filter over the f/20 apperture? Would that not mean a shallower depth of field and less clarity on the falls in the background?

Thanks
    Gerald
    The relative advantages of f/20 over something larger, such as f/11 or f/13, are pretty minor--if not invisible--on a lens like the 24-70mm that Jason used for this image. Naturally, this would not hold true of a telephoto lens, where DOF can be achieved only at smaller apertures.
    I try to avoid apertures smaller than f/16 whenever possible because the smaller the aperture, the more dust spots on the sensor become visible on the captured image, and because small apertures on 35mm format cameras can lead to problems with diffraction.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David, That is interesting to know.

Gerald