Thread: Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird

I photographed this Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird on Greg Basco's porch in Costa Rica earlier this year. I really enjoy doing multiple flash hummingbird photography with all the exotic hummers and flowers down there.

Canon 1D Mark III, 70-200mm f/4 + 1.4x @ 223mm, f/16, 1/200, ISO 320, manual exposure, 5 flashes, tripod
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very god, very nice, i enjoy all Hummers.

Axel Hildebrandt

Pretty cool, I like the wing position, sharpness, eye contact, BG and flower. Have you tried to lighten the eye a bit?

Bryan Hix

Very nice. The red channel looks overexposed on my monitor? Also, I don't know if you do this, but you might want to increase the size of the flash spot on the eye and increase the sharpness of it to make it stand out more. Just a thought. The BG is super. I have to learn how to do that.
    Last edited by Bryan Hix; 08-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And you seem to have them sorted too. I like the angled posture, and good to see the beak in the flower. Sharp with lovely colours, and that BG is a killer. Another well captured image from you Doug.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

killer bg,pose and wing position!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

That eye really does look jet black. I had a look at the RAW file and it looks pretty black (I don't think there's much detail underneath the black). Here's a closer look at the eye in the RAW file.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Axel Hildebrandt

Thanks for posting the closeup. I wouldn't lighten the pupil but there is some brown in the iris.

Charles Mills

Absolutely gorgeous, Doug. Would you happen to remember your approximate working distance?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roughly 8-10 feet Charles. You should get better shots than this in Costa Rica at my workshop!
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture of this Rufous tailed. I like the pose. The red flower seems a bit oversaturated to me. Canon Reds seem to do that. Simple enough to fix in the raw processing in LR.

Subharghya

Perfect pose and angle of shot .. Exposure and Bg is Fantastic .. I agree with Bryan about increasing the catchlight .. I would have loved if you could fired the flash from another angle via remote because when flash is applied from the hot shoe it makes a subject look like a 2D object without a depth so it will be interesting to try this lighting experiments with subjects that you can get comparatively easily

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I loved this one too Doug.. cool shot... the wing position is perfect parallel to each other.. great shot..

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Doug,
    Looks like you really nailed the humingbird shots! Very nicely done.

Fabs Forns

Thia is a classic, with the right size of flower, not overdone, way to go. I think the face could have used more light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Doug, This is a lovely composition and the details and pose are great!!

david cramer

Great composition, Doug. I agree with lightening the head a bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

perfect wing position and exposure! I'm curious - is the sharpness a result of the 5 flashes @ 1/200, I've seen shots of them @ 1/3200 that don't look as sharp as this?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It looks great on my monitor Doug! Lovely colours, EXP, BG, flower and flower placement, wing position, and comp. Just a great shot!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Doug
    This is very, very good mate. I love the pose and the red flower. Perfectly framed. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am envious. Some day I may learn to do this. I hope to try a 2 flash set up this summer as our gladiolas bloom and attract the local hummers.

Charles Mills

Thanks Doug. So, I should be able to do quite well with a 300 f4 then. As for the workshop, I am scrimping and saving doing such things as eating 1 meal a day if I'm hungry and hiking 3 miles to work, uphill both ways, just like my grandfather used to do or so he claimed :-)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing shot , loving it all the way
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very healthy looking fellow.

Great use of the flash set up. Love the wing position and the flower. The post process is spot on. Congrats.
    I'd be nice to see you guys next year.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel. Here's an explanation from another recent hummer photo thread of mine:

Actually a steady hand is not required in multiple flash hummingbird photography. You set your camera to manual exposure and dial in several stops of underexposure using a high f number for plenty of DOF and low ISO. Set your shutter speed to a number below the camera's high-speed sync speed. In this way you'll be completely dependent on the output of your flashes to illuminate your subject. Set the flashes to manual mode and dial the power down to 1/16 or 1/32. At this low level of power, the duration of the flashes is 1/10,000 of a second or faster. That's how you freeze a hummingbird in flight and why a steady hand is not required. :)

Linda Robbins has an excellent instructional PDF on multiple flash hummingbird photography if you're interested.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Doug! I'm interested in how it's achieved but as far as actually doing it I would have to travel to a country where hummingbirds are found, which probably won't be soon :)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Doug, that's an amazing photograph. I can't find a single thing not to like about it. The sharpness, exposure, background, you name it... are all perfect. And thanks for the explanation on the setup. I'd love to try that some time, (but I need 3 more flashes first).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just superb! Great pose, super light, great detail, BG, comp and colors! COngratulaitons!