Thread: Great-blue Heron flight "grab-shot"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great-blue Heron flight "grab-shot"

I was done with my day photography-wise and just chatting away with a fellow photographer (hi Rick!) when this fellow flew by in front of us. We don't get too many flight image opportunities so I just quickly raised my camera and fired away a 4 burst series. This one was the best, with the other three having less than ideal wing positions. I do wish for a slightly better HA though.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/2000s., f/7.1, ISO 640, -1 EC, natural light, handheld, slight crop for composition.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

The image seems quite dark, especially the background water and the underside of the distant wing, which seems almost in silhouette. I would try to brighten the image and to provide more wing detail.

The image histogram is far left due to the negative compensation applied to the relatively dark bird over the water. Moving the exposure slider to the right in Photoshop Camera Raw, coupled with the application of some recovery and fill light, would bring the image into better balance.

Norm Dulak
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 08-04-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Add corrective comments.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flying pose, agreed with Norm for brightning up
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nicely done Daniel, considering the light and dark bg, this looks very good.

Brian Barcelos

Knowing that you weren't expecting any flight shots, I can see your settings were a bit off and you had to think quick just to get the shot off. Happens to me all the time. Regardless you did great. Eye, sharpness and BG are great and very nice wing position. Have you tried to lighten it at all or does it get to noisy. Still a great capture.

Brian

Axel Hildebrandt

Sharpness and head angle look good to me but I agree on lightening it a bit.

Ákos Lumnitzer

I think it's fabulous for a grab shot Daniel. I love the striations in the water in the BG. Nice pose, HA not quite the best, but again, my first statement sums it up. A bit lighter would be better IMHO. :)

Dave Barnes

Hi Daniel, I must agree on the under exposure. I think a dark BG could work if you can get the subject a bit lighter in PP without clipping the highlights.
    I like the pose comp and feather detail.
    You did well to capture the image under the circumstances.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even with -1 EC the RAW file was a little bright on the heron itself and I actually toned the image down...looks like I may have darkened it a little too much. Thanks for the input, very much appreciated!